RECENT COMMENTS

Tuesday, February 24, 2004

ulysses is it




You're Ulysses!

by James Joyce

Most people are convinced that you don't make any sense, but compared to what else you could say, what you're saying now makes tons of sense. What people do understand about you is your vulgarity, which has convinced people that you are at once brilliant and repugnant. Meanwhile you are content to wander around aimlessly, taking in the sights and sounds of the city. What you see is vast, almost limitless, and brings you additional fame. When no one is looking, you dream of being a Greek folk hero.


Take the Book Quiz
at the Blue Pyramid.



Maybe me in the first sentence...

via savoradin


Comments: ulysses is it

Hmm... makes no sense... vulgarity... brilliant and repugnant... why, that could be ME! except I actually wound up getting The Mists of Avalon: You're obsessed with Camelot in all its forms, from Arthurian legend to the Kennedy administration. Your favorite movie from childhood was "The Sword in the Stone". But more than tales of wizardry and Cuban missiles, you've focused on women. You know that they truly hold all the power. You always wished you could meet Jackie Kennedy. Doesn't sound much like me at all, really. I've read Malory (the full-length version of same to boot), but that's as far as my Arthurian interest really goes...
Posted by James Russell at February 24, 2004 07:52 PM

Though you are very short and often overshadowed, your voice is poetic and lyrical. Dark and brooding, you see the world as a hopeless effort of people trying to impress other people. Though you make reference to almost everything, you've really heard enough about Michelangelo. You measure out your life with coffee spoons.

omigod - yes, I am short. And dark. Prufrock, not Pollyanna.
Posted by wen at February 24, 2004 08:42 PM


You're A Prayer for Owen Meany!
by John Irving
Despite humble and perhaps literally small beginnings, you inspire faith in almost everyone you know. You are an agent of higher powers, and you manifest this fact in mysterious and loud ways. A sense of destiny pervades your every waking moment, and you prepare with great detail for destiny fulfilled. When you speak, IT SOUNDS LIKE THIS!


AAAAAAAARGGGGH!
Posted by David Tiley at February 24, 2004 10:01 PM

Hmmm - this quiz does pretty well on six questions...

however having just found out at Twists and Turns that I coodabeen Kurt (Cat's Cradle) Vonnegut, I wonder what tripped me up. Lack of travel or that old stream of consciousness?
Posted by boynton at February 25, 2004 12:19 PM

You're To Kill a Mockingbird!
by Harper Lee
Perceived as a revolutionary and groundbreaking person, you have changed the minds of many people. While questioning the authority around you, you've also taken a significant amount of flack. But you've had the admirable guts to persevere. There's a weird guy in the neighborhood using dubious means to protect you, but you're pretty sure it's worth it in the end. In the end, it remains unclear to you whether finches and mockingbirds get along in real life.
----------

They got it mixed up - I'm actually just that "weird guy in the neighbourhood"...
Posted by Damien at February 25, 2004 03:20 PM

So, speaking as the WGITN, do finches and mockingbirds get along in RL? ;)
Posted by boynton at February 25, 2004 04:18 PM

I am a not very good book. Such as it is, could not be more underwhelming.
Posted by .s at February 26, 2004 03:04 PM

maybe the time is ripe for .s to compose a quiz that will subvert the pigeon holes, curious categories among the pigeons?
this seems to be firming as one of blogging's standard forms to play with.
Posted by boynton at February 26, 2004 03:26 PM

I've plum run out of brandy otherwise I would program a quiz: Would you enjoy Fante or wouldn't you?
Posted by .s at February 26, 2004 03:52 PM

si

...so who am I?
Posted by boynton at February 26, 2004 04:03 PM

"Though many think of you as a bit young, even childish, you're actually incredibly deep and complex. You show people the need to rethink their assumptions, and confront them on everything from how they think to where they build their houses. You might be one of the greatest people of all time. You'd be recognized as such if you weren't always talking about talking rabbits."
You're Watership Down!
by Richard Adams

None of the thousands of rabbits I shot in my previous life as a young rural person ever talked. My brother and I went through 'the good marksman'/'bad marksman' routine, but none of them ever talked.

The farm pigeons? Well, they were another kettle of fish entirely. They stooled as soon as they caught sight of us.
Posted by Sedgwick at February 27, 2004 09:13 PM

Where should I build my house?
Where shouldn't I build my house?
Should I build a house?

- rabbit.


btw Mr S - if you were to be a film I think you might be Raiders of the Lost Ark...
(I was just reading at Fragments at Floyd about the so called 'Ararat Anomaly')

http://www.fragmentsfromfloyd.com/archives/001927.html
Posted by boynton b boynton at February 27, 2004 09:50 PM

'Tis the origin of the town's name. (But of course you knew that.) According to the town historian (from the family that published the "Ararat Advertiser" ... for once an honest description of newspapers) the early explorer (from memory I think Major Mitchell) and his crew took a moment to consult the Melways, to knock up a batch of scones and to observe - "like the Ark, we rested".

Then again it could have been that whilst taking five in the inverted lotus position he saw the sign on the now defunct "Tarara Roadhouse" and thought "bugger me, that sounds like a good name for a town from which young Sedgwick will go forth and multiply".

To think Ararat may have been only a heart rendering hare's breath away from being called "Esuohdaor"!
Posted by Sedgwick at February 28, 2004 08:52 AM

Yes, I did know the origins of Eusohdoar, by colonial raiders of the lost names. I was just wondering if you were the so-called "Anomaly"?

btw "hare's breath"...talking rabbits again ;)
Posted by boynton b boynton at February 28, 2004 09:57 AM

No I use my own name. Never been known to use an anomaly ... well, not deceptively.

The hare of which I spoke, or with whom I dialogued, (a new and more corrupt form of verballing) was the one adopted by our dog. Much prone to biting one.
Posted by Sedgwick at February 28, 2004 11:45 AM

No comments: