RECENT COMMENTS

Wednesday, February 04, 2004

beatle variants

For those of us partial to the fabulous foursome, American musicologist Alan W. Pollack's notes on the Beatles is quite a find. (via Incoming Signals - and Exclamation Mark)

"I've done the series as a labor of love for its own sake," Pollack tells us, "Yet, I've often felt like the results "fall between two stools" (a British expression for saying "it's neither here nor there")." He describes this uneasy position as follows: "The average Beatlemaniac doesn't have the musicological discipline with which to understand the notes, and my erstwhile academic buddies look down at me for not choosing a more worthy subject in which to invest my time ( A Beatles Odyssey)

boynton was listening to Let it Be Naked with a nephew (and fellow beatle fan) last night, the two of us admiring "the very classic two-bridge variant" in the acoustic pseudo-folk song Two of Us, and boynton opining that she liked the despectored
version better. I suspect Mr Pollack may not agree:
And to give the devil his due, it's one of the only songs on the album for which Spector delivers a mix whose "finish" (in the photo processing or wood furniture sense of the word) feels appropriate to the style and mood of the music.

I can see we've got a fab few hours of serious beatle reading ahead of us here.

I also like this note on Blackbird:
There's just acoustic guitar and a metronome! For those of you who, like myself, first encountered this song on vinyl, I am curious to know if anyone else ever entertained an initial suspicion that the ticking was caused by an extraordinarily well-synchronized scratch on the platter? :-)


Comments: beatle variants

its the elegaic feel. a tremendous sense of ending.
Posted by David Tiley at February 4, 2004 09:47 PM

yet 'cross relations abound'...

I'm looking forward to detecting dorian modes and hearing things as appoggiaturas
Posted by boynton at February 5, 2004 12:03 PM

No comments: