RECENT COMMENTS

Thursday, February 26, 2004

swf cricket

Marvellous key stroke that...

Flash game of cricket that will perfect the arrow on willow technique.

(via the Ultimate Insult)


Comments: swf cricket

I once played the game and then forgot all about it. Perhaps twice, a loving want-not. Guy Faw(l)kes day never seemed so splendid. I beat myself with a bat, fancy that.

B, have you ever?
Posted by .s at February 26, 2004 03:09 PM

no - I played 'French cricket' on the beach with my family as a child. There was this great ampitheatre of sand and headland and the roar of the surf.
I played a couple of back yard games with my neighbours as a child - which meant being sent by my brother to stand over by the fence and only ocasionally field the tennis ball.
Would never play with a real cricket ball - too scary!
Became rather obsessed with watching it as a teenager, but the old-fashioned Test cricket variety, the romantic spirit of which is sort of disappearing. It's all logo'd and about selling phones and cars now.
Posted by boynton at February 26, 2004 03:16 PM

what a disappointment. Fondness shrivels like so many turtles upon a desert shore. Hmm. Perhaps one might create a rogue 'street' cricket?
Posted by .s at February 26, 2004 03:19 PM

a rogue street cricket movement would be good...
like a rogue strolling string quartet.

when I walk the dogs I see a lot of amateur cricket occurring on the ovals near here, that seems closer to the way I once imagined it.
ie. they all wear 'creams' - all white - no logos, and the setting is rather beautiful - very green, encircled by trees and a duck pond, and a small crowd of friends watch on the edge in canvas chairs. Langorous and not selling anything.
Posted by boynton at February 26, 2004 03:37 PM

All is well, assuredly, but let us concentrate on a particular consideration:

A strolling string quartet.

All that was wrong is now right, we have goodness in our grasp. How I love Boynton's serenity.
Posted by .s at February 26, 2004 03:46 PM


Serene she is, but I think she's missed the point of the game. A lot of people make the mistake. You see, cricket is not actually a sport, but a means of generating statistics. There is no end to the averages and rates and counts and stuff, and frankly, I'm glad, because they really are the most energising of reading. Virtually every match logs up some sort of record, so long as you look hard enough. You have to love that about a game.
Posted by phlip at February 26, 2004 10:31 PM

No, Miss b. is never wrong. I really enjoy watching the Tests, but even better is to play the game with some mates for your club, and have a few beers with everyone after the game. Its all about getting out there and having a go.

And the cricket ball doesn't hurt, Miss B. In my case, I'm so pumped with adreniline that I never feel a thing.
Posted by Scott Wickstein at February 27, 2004 12:31 AM

merci, .s

I agree with you about the stats aspect of cricket, Philip. And I can almost see the attraction in reading them. In fact, when I was obsessed with cricket I used to like obscure results in magazines. A friend gave me a copy of Wisden for my 21st - but it was too late by then. My obsession for the game had passed.

Yes, I see them drinking a beer after the game and it does look pretty convivial.
And you're wrong, actually, Scott. At scholl I got hit in the middle of forhead with a baseball.
It hurt. It was embarrassing. Was I meant to catch it?

(Also notice *I* was wrong. The oval is encircled by trees, but NOT by a duck pond, of course. No comma. The pond/lagoon is rather small and lies off to one side of playing fields).
Posted by boynton at February 27, 2004 04:30 PM

A baseball isn't a cricket ball.... Mind you I've never actually been hit in the head either...
Posted by Scott Wickstein at February 28, 2004 12:31 AM

The perils of Pauline's topless beach cricket as immortalised by Messrs G. & S.

"Tit willow, tit willow."

Time for another shamefaced skulking off, albeit with General MacArthur's thought in mind.
Posted by Sedgwick at February 28, 2004 11:54 AM

'My object all sublime, I shall achieve in time
To let the PUNishment fit the crime...'

Ps...wasn't there a player called Titmuss who played for England?
Posted by boynton at February 28, 2004 01:58 PM

Indeed, Fred, a spinner. (vs the other Titmus of the TV mini-series - a wonderfully awful character, up there with Mr. Heep in awfulness.)
Posted by Sedgwick at February 28, 2004 05:17 PM

(re Leslie Titmus)
- who, as I recall, learnt to speak RP by mimicking the BBC cricket commentary?

Maybe I'm imagining that for the sake of a seamless segue...
Posted by boynton at February 29, 2004 01:04 AM

No comments: