RECENT COMMENTS

Sunday, February 29, 2004

choclate ears

was listening to vet talk-back yesterday about hearing aids for dogs. Caller was urged to research the progress being made in the area. Then she said her dog was 17. Nothing will help apparently. Must be presbycusis (age-related hearing loss), which is progressive with time and cannot be prevented or reversed. (source)

Doug is approaching 15 and is quite deaf. This page on deaf pets had some good tips

To get a deaf dog or cat’s attention stamp on the floor, throw a stuffed sock or a ping pong ball near it. If you are outside toss a small pebble or rock near the pet. Then give it the appropriate hand signal...

I may not be able to throw a ball well but I may manage lobbing a sock across the room to rouse douglas in his presbycusis.

Develop a special way to rouse your deaf dog from a sleep. A deaf pet can startle easily when asleep and this can cause aggression and fear. Try waking your dog by putting your hand in front of its nose or by using the scent of a food treat.

The scent of a food treat would have to be chocolate. His favourite, and his old nose is still able to sniff out contraband cadbury's stashed in cupboards from a mere sliver on silver paper. This would mean that boynton would also require a constant block of choc on hand for non-startling.

See also Frequency Hearing Ranges in Dogs and other Species



Comments: chocolate ears

And then there's the record label that caters for such canines.

http://gallery.cybertarp.com/albums/userpics/12178/hmvdogboynton.JPG
Posted by Sedgwick at February 29, 2004 06:26 PM

Perhaps if he were deaf, my adolescent dachshund would bark less. Perhaps, though likely nought. He is wont to bark, and bark he will.

The rats, on the other hand, merely chirp and I am not cognizant of thier senses, perhaps they are deaf, dumb and blind. So they say, or so they said.
Posted by .s at February 29, 2004 06:29 PM

Oo, I have always wanted to have a 'MetaFilter Moment', and have one I have had.
Posted by .s at February 29, 2004 06:33 PM

Did the earth move for you too?
Posted by Sedgwick at February 29, 2004 06:34 PM

It was somewhat shocking, almost worthy of a cuddle.
Posted by .s at February 29, 2004 06:37 PM

Not now, boynton may be watching.
Posted by Sedgwick at February 29, 2004 06:41 PM

Oh no, it was not my intention to embrace you my dear man. I was only attempting to grasp my head, as it is libel to pop off at any given moment.

And in case one is wondering, my spleen is safely intact: ever loved and fondly nurtured.
Posted by .s at February 29, 2004 06:49 PM

"I was only attempting to grasp my head, as it is libel to pop off" ... slanderous thought!
Posted by Sedgwick at February 29, 2004 06:58 PM

Hmm. The gutter is not where my head is destined, more likely into the frying pan along with my other attempts at humour.
Posted by .s at February 29, 2004 07:03 PM

BoyntonFilter!

Amberglow has moved! http://mysite.verizon.net/~evanka/

Ultimate Flash Sonic! http://69.56.241.42/1877_usonic.swf

Tell Tale Weekly, audiobooks galore! http://www.telltaleweekly.com/
Posted by .s at February 29, 2004 07:07 PM

Boynton, my dog's vet told me that chocolate is highly toxic for dogs and from what I've read, it's not just some old wives' tale. Probably, you've looked into this and determined a small amount is acceptable, but I thought I'd pass my vet's warning on to you.
Posted by Curtis at February 29, 2004 07:11 PM

My grandfather once fed my dog chocolate under the table during dinner, unbeknownst to us. My dog then went into a convulsive fit—as he is regurlarly wont to do—on the carpet a few metres from the table. My grandfather sat in a paralyzed fear during the duration of my dog's typical behavior, only confessing his anxiety after Clyde righted himself and went for water.

"I thought I had killed him once I realized what I had done" my grandfather said after all was apparently well.

"Ha," I chuckled; "no, his head just popped off as it is does on occasion."
Posted by .s at February 29, 2004 07:20 PM

When Coco the Wonderdog came to us, she had been fed chocolate. We could give a cellophane bag the slightest rustle rooms away and she would sprint into sight. Violet Crumbles. Bad for her but she loved it with a desperate intensity.. now she is going deaf and yes, she can get very startled.

I am noticing that her whole sensorium is shutting down. Less eyesight, and she wants to turn back more and more on her walks to investigate smells she has already passed. This is apparently a sign that they are poor smellers - for a dog, that is.. You can get a lot of this kind of information by googling "coon dogs" and suchlike.
Posted by David Tiley at February 29, 2004 07:54 PM

very pleased to see boyntonfilter up and running (bofi), and of course would approve of any cuddles occurring in the commentary. As long as it doesn't involve too many emoticons ;)

Mr S- that is very nice. And rather close to home.
The real worry will be when HM needs the ear trumpet as well. Guess one would just get a 'hearing dog' then rather than a 'hearing aid' -though complications may arise when the canine presbycusis started to set in. As long as one divvies up the faculties I spose.

.s - thanks for those bofi links - am currently checking them out in another window.

Yes, Curtis, I had heard that. I think (should I go down the chocolate track) that "Cadbury's" doesn't contain enough of the pure stuff to be a worry. He once ate a whole collection of Easter eggs at once - no problems. I replaced them. He ate them again. Only last xmas chomped a whole hamper of very fine (hand made) chocolates... no worries. But vets do say this, so it's a good warning.

.S - scary. Doug actually does throw fits - but these don't seem to be choc related...

David - I say if they love anything with such a desperate intensity we should indulge them. Baklava still seems to be on top of the list for Doug, though he can leap-to at the sound and smell of chocolate. Off to google 'coon dogs'now

btw - I think I would face the greater danger from this choclate plan. Alas, I don't think I could 'sit' on a special block reserved for 'startling'. Impossible not to demolish at once. ;)
Posted by boynton at February 29, 2004 09:28 PM

No comments: