RECENT COMMENTS

Friday, February 20, 2004

mie sounz

before I got distracted by turnips, I had been thinking of an old copy of Mother Goose that I once had, now lost, When Wee Wer Very Yun. It was written in a foreign tongue - the first written alphabet that I learnt. For I was the one of the small number of English speakers who learned to read in ITA - Initial Teaching Alphabet. In fact I probably learnt from this book

mie i.t.a. card ov pictuerz and sounz

From a Gallery of Photos at the I.T.A. Association

Educashunal lunacie or wizdom? BBC News


Comments: mie sounz

What was it like learning the regular alphabet after learning this one? It looks scary, but that's an adult's eyes, I suppose children learn new alphabets easily.
Posted by notes2004 at February 22, 2004 05:47 PM

can't really remember - but apparently 'ie' made the transition relatively easily.
My mother - as an observer - always believed that it was the less able kids who found it really difficult, and strugggled more because of it.
I only remember my older siblings and grandparents not being able to help me with my 'reading' - and seeing the BBC story it seems this might have been a major factor in its decline. Not so trivial really.
Posted by boynton at February 22, 2004 07:04 PM

No comments: