RECENT COMMENTS

Friday, February 20, 2004

turnip

If turnips were watches, I would wear one by my side...

"It was never pretty. One watch industry old-timer remembers that people used to call it a "turnip," watch-business slang for a timepiece that's big and awkward"
The #1 watch of the 20th century

another turnip watch

turnips


Comments: turnip

... and then there's that highwayman Dick Turnip (a Swede by birth I believe) whose speciality was to stand and deliver unwary glasses off, hair let down librarians on their way home from work. Hence the old saying "a Turnip for the books".

(Runs away quickly and hides in a ditch to avoid severe corporal punnishment)
Posted by Sedgwick at February 21, 2004 07:59 AM

well if ever I should mispell my Turpin as Turnip it's because of the dyslexic way I woz taught.
(attempted swedish segue there of the loose threads)
Posted by boynton at February 21, 2004 04:07 PM

For that, Sedge should be smacked with a switch.
Posted by David Tiley at February 23, 2004 02:20 PM

No comments: