RECENT COMMENTS

Tuesday, February 03, 2004

hi lo's

I went googling for the Hi Lo's after submitting them into the musical lucky dip yesterday.

The cover of Suddenly It 's The Hi Lo's used to grace my small wall. Then one day I played the discarded record and suddenly became a fan of the close-harmony vocal quartet of the 1950's and early 1960's

The Hi Lo's.com is an excellent site. boynton duly downloaded the featured audio, My Funny Valentine, and after 5 spins of the turntable has now got it pleasantly stuck in her head eleven days early...

Small Footnote: the other record on my wall was Hello We're The Axidentals.
From the hi lo's biog I now discover that there was a link in the line-up (see Milt Chapman) afterall. Who knew...


Comments: Hi Lo's

Hello! THE AXIDENTALS, the great 50's Jazz vocal group... My dad is Bob Sumners (arranger, vbocalist). I'm writing a book about them. I'd LOVE any comments, thoughts, information, anything anybody has.

Thanks alot.
Posted by Rick Sumners at September 15, 2004 11:09 AM

I love the Axidentals, Rick.
True, I bought the record for the cover (as with the Hi Lo's) and the record inside was badly scratched, but depsite the hisses I got to really like it. A few years later I saw another Hello! in excellent condition. I especially like the arrangement of "What a Difference a day makes".

I see the link above has broken but Google images
http://images.google.com.au/images?q=hello%20we're%20the%20axidentals&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi
led to this link where you can hear a sample.
http://breakfastrecords.web.infoseek.co.jp/01.html

I was surprised there was not much info out there on the web, so would be keen to read your book.
Posted by boynton at September 16, 2004 12:15 PM

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can you put me in touch with Rick Sumners? I'd love to read his book on The Axidentals - a great vocal group.

Thanks

Lynn Hauldren
elhaul@comcast.net

Gene Aitken said...

Don't think there's much of a chance of hearing back. Wrote a couple of e-mails to Rick, but never heard back. Would like to know more about Bob and where he is! He was an amazing writer and singer.

Many thanks,

Gene Aitken