RECENT COMMENTS

Friday, February 11, 2005

poll

I took the challenge and compiled a list of 10 favourite pop songs from the 30's and 40's. But the results are so disappointing to me in their resemblance to any old Standards for EZ piano that I'll hold off publication.

Searching for a list I glanced at this Correlating Choice of Musical Genres and Personality and conclude that I'm probably a miscellaneous loon.

| Comments (126) | TrackBack (5)


Comments: poll

Brazil
As Time Goes by
Caravan
Perfidia
It don’t mean a thing
Minnie the moocher
Star Dust
Mack the knife
Miss Otis regrets
Good-bye
Posted by Nora at February 11, 2005 09:21 PM

Thanks Nora - was going to have to say "Fools Rush In"...

a couple in there I would choose - Star Dust and Perfidia, which would have added some cred to my ballady list:

The Breeze and I
What a little moonlight can do
The very thought of you
Sky Lark
That Old Black Magic
Smoke gets in your eyes
Blue Moon
I’ve got you under my skin
The More I see you
What a difference a Day made

(I notice that there's a similar sound to a lot of those songs)
Posted by boynton at February 11, 2005 09:29 PM

cheating - 10 more

I’m Getting Sentimental over you
Fine brown Frame
Could be
I’ve got a gal in Kalamazoo
You’d me so nice to come home to
Route 66
My Funny Valentine
The Man I love
Star dust
The clouds will soon roll by
Posted by boynton at February 11, 2005 09:48 PM

If you're a misc. loon the rest of us are mismatched coots.

Frenesi
Les Momes de la Cloche
Blue Skies
Hey Bob-white
White Cliffs of Dover
Posted by vernaculo at February 12, 2005 11:30 AM

I was just humming Frenesi as I walked home...

Misc Loon regrets... she didn't specify the artist.
Blue Moon like Blue Skies has been so mangled.
I like the one I heard on the original Pennies From Heaven TV show by Greta Keller
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000000X2H/ref=m_art_li_4/102-6904053-2437723?v=glance&s=music

It would be good to here GK sing BSkies
Posted by boynton at February 12, 2005 12:27 PM

There seem to be some discordant notes struck by that Choice of Musical Personalities Survey thingy. I’d find it hard to generalize about: unconventional, artistic and introverted fans of religious and pop music, relaxing with foreign movies; headbangers into tranquility and family security; or lovers of hip-hop chillin’ with a Western.

And in many cases too, the ascribed characteristics are pretty much the polar opposite of the people who create such music. Which reminds me of the least uttered phrase in the English language: “Is that banjo player’s Porsche?”

As for old pop songs, I’m now listening to Peter Sellers and Spike Milligan’s transcendent versions of “Unchained Melody” and “Dance Me, Henry” – produced by George Martin, natch!

Henry Crun voice “Why are you carrying that mop?”
Minnie Bannister voice” Well the man said we’d clean up if we recorded this song.”
Posted by Nabakov at February 12, 2005 01:49 PM

I agree about the survey. I may have meant I was a loon to link to it. I'm all over the place, a poor personality.
That's a very fine phrase, should enjoy universal currency.

Now I have to do a KP and say you are disqualified.
Unchained Melody was 1956 - outside our survey period.
But did you like "Peter Sellers Sings George Gershwin" ? My fave used to be "bangers and mash" on that, or the somerset folk song (nod to ancestry)

This reminds me of the very fine recordings of old songs to be found on The Conway Brothers Hiccups orchestra album. eg My Blue Heaven
Posted by auntie rotter at February 12, 2005 02:12 PM

Don't forget the Mills Brothers.
Posted by flute at February 12, 2005 02:53 PM

"But did you like "Peter Sellers Sings George Gershwin" ? "

Yes, but an extended remix would be nice.
Posted by Nabakov at February 12, 2005 05:04 PM

"Terraplane Blues" - Robert Johnson ('37)
"Good Morning, School Girl" - Sunny Boy Williamson ('37)
"Frankie and Albert" - Leadbelly ('33)
"Goodnight Irene" - Leadbelly ('33 - on)
"Midnight Special" - Leadbelly (ditto)
"Rock Island Line - Leadbelly ('37)
"The Lady Is A Tramp" - Tommy Dorsey or Sophie Tucker
"Strange Fruit" - Billy Holiday ('38)
"Tain't Nobody's Business" - Billy Holiday ('40s - original by Bessie Smith, '23)
"Rollin' And Rollin'" - Lightning Hopkins ('40s)
All of Woodie Guthrie
Posted by cs at February 12, 2005 07:24 PM

When I was in a Tex@s Dennys in 1999 (San An Tone, to be precise), I convinced the waitress to belt out a rendition of "Deep in the Heart of Tex@s". Quite the lone star, she was. The other eaters gave her a cheery round of applause. Nothing OTT, mind you. No one ran up and said "YOU are great! I must sign you to a record deal." But enthusiastic, never the less.

I never mentioned the only reason I liked it was because I loved it in Pee Wee's Big Adventure. Possibly not the best name-drop given the circs.

And in a James Russell moment, I believe Star Dust is twenties, not thirties or forties.
Posted by Tony.T at February 12, 2005 08:42 PM

Before some nabakov, or blair, or trotsky comes by to correct me, Billie Holiday ..

"Stardust", although already a standard, was a huge hit for Artie Shaw in 1941.
Posted by cs at February 12, 2005 10:14 PM

How could I forget the Mills Bros, or the Boswell Sisters - or even the Andrews sisters, a 78 bought by my cool sister once and played on a gramophone she picked up at the Camberwell Market for a song.
(Zoot Suit/Sonya's Cafe)

Chris, you make me feel so totally unkool ;)
Should have said Strange Fruit, T'aint Nobody's Business...Woody G.


Alas some of my favourite Bessie Smith numbers are only just outside the frame.

Tony - By Bing or Gene?
How about the Yellow Rose of Tex@s by Mitch Miller as being the one that totally blows any shred of my cred out of the water?

Thanks CS - I hope I meant the Artie Shaw one, but maybe I have to draft a "guidelines concerning cover versions" document for the purposes of fair and balanced polling? ;)
Posted by boynton at February 13, 2005 12:37 PM

A little cred shred is no problem, Boynty. In fact it's probably good for you. Like fibre and saunas.

On the other point, The Yellow Rose of Te@as was sung by the venerable Army Of Barefeet during the Civil War so, conceivably, it fell into the forties. The Eighteen Forties.
Posted by Tony.T at February 13, 2005 01:41 PM

How about Sonny Boy, then, CS?
Posted by Tony.T at February 13, 2005 01:44 PM

Blast you Tony.T! I plead laptopping ...
Posted by cs at February 13, 2005 04:18 PM

No comments: