RECENT COMMENTS

Tuesday, February 22, 2005

boss

While compiling a list of a pile of bedside books I had occasion to reacquaint myself with the odd title When The Boss Comes To Dinner (for Australian Homemakers) My sister gave this book to me in the hope that within its pages I might find something to idly scan or deconstruct. But maybe the retro isn't quite fifties enough, or I'm starting to like the idea of cooking with vermouth. However, this selection could make me quite nervous.

The important thing is not to over-react and not to be over-ambitious....
Maybe the boss hates the formal and delights in the homely touch...
Just a last thought - when you've planned it all to the best of your abilituy remember to relax and enjoy yourself.
The boss will find you irrestisible.

You'll be at your most nervous (you may as well admit that) so have the drinks ready well ahead of time with plenty of ice, lots of big glasses, slices of lemon and a large bowl of nuts. If you can find out the boss's favourite drink - it might be something slightly out of the ordinary like the driest of dry martiinis, in which case have it mixed and in the freezer together with the glass - you're ahead on marks.

It's up to you how long you linger over drinks.



Australian Home Journal n/d but looks somewhere in the seventies.


Comments: boss

"The boss will find you irrestisible."

then:

"It's up to you how long you linger over drinks."


" lots of big glasses,"

But I thought men don't make passes at girls who wear glasses. Especially big ones.
Posted by Francis Xavier Holden at February 23, 2005 12:32 PM

Well, I don't wear glasses, so I wouldn't know
But I do suspect that given the combo of high nerves and big glasses someone may make a spectacle of themselves.

And I do know that men make passes at girls who wear parkas.

(ah, the good old days of walking my labrador around the river.)
Posted by boynton at February 23, 2005 01:04 PM

"But I do suspect that given the combo of high nerves and big glasses someone may make a spectacle of themselves."

Not to mention, in the context, cocktails and highballs.

PS: I must ask my analyst if I may have watched too many Carry On movies, episodes of Are You Being Served, and Mel Brookes productions.
Posted by Francis Xavier Holden at February 26, 2005 06:12 PM

Alas - so many cocktails names, so many innuendos to mix, FX, but all I can think of in the context is "Screaming Optometrist". Or maybe "Slippery Lens".
Posted by boynton at February 27, 2005 08:43 PM

No comments: