RECENT COMMENTS

Wednesday, February 23, 2005

nickname

Just call me Lazy van der Jackass
Yes I lived up to my new nickname yesterday.
(via the Presurfer)


Comments: nickname

my nickname's wen.
Posted by Precious Fart Knocker at February 23, 2005 03:45 PM

" I asked them why one read in the synagogue service every week the "I thank thee, O Lord, that I was not born a woman." "It is not meant in an unfriendly spirit, and it is not intended to degrade or humiliate women." "But it does, nevertheless. Suppose the service read, 'I think thee, O Lord, that I was not born a jackass. “Could that be twisted in any way into a compliment to the jackass?"

-Elizabeth Cady Stanton
Posted by wen at February 23, 2005 03:51 PM

Wen? When's your name acceptable? ;)

Like your name better than mine. But could you twist "I thank thee, O Lord, that I was not born a PFK" into a compliment to the Knocker?
Posted by boynton at February 23, 2005 06:54 PM

Jackass: the latest Mot Juste (du jour).
Posted by Tony.T at February 24, 2005 11:32 AM

By the way, I was referring to this ...

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9B07E7DE1E39F930A35753C1A9629C8B63

Under the entry for ''French Literature,'' Jacobs sheepishly admits that Gustave Flaubert wrote a novel, called ''Bouvard and Pécuchet,'' that deals with two sad sacks who futilely set out to amass all human knowledge. In other words, Flaubert got there first. Worse, he had talent. (Jacobs apparently does not know that Flaubert never finished writing the novel, but this is par for the course.) Flaubert is famous for coining the term ''le mot juste''; le mot juste here is ''jackass.'' Far from becoming the smartest man in the world, Jacobs, at the end of his foolish enterprise, wouldn't even be the smartest person at Entertainment Weekly.
Posted by Tony.T at February 24, 2005 01:03 PM

I have heard of Flaubert's Parrot, but not of the Jackass.
I think I will juste aboute hear a kookaburra though before le jour is through
Posted by boynton at February 24, 2005 01:55 PM

Indeed. That parrot was the one in Le Parrot Sketch.
Posted by Tony.T at February 24, 2005 04:23 PM

Le Mort Juste.

Laughter flows. Time flies. Parrot flew.
Posted by boynton at February 24, 2005 05:42 PM

No comments: