RECENT COMMENTS

Friday, February 25, 2005

dooby

Don't think this is worth a ping*, but since I rather casually referred to (The Many Lives of) Dobie Gillis in a comment on a Troppo post by CS, I can't get the dobie theme outta my head. My older sisters watched this show, I only know it from the TV Greatest Hits record. As earworms go, it's not bad.

You can hear it here

The music of Dobie Gillis One outstanding aspect of the Dobie Gillis TV show was its incredibly hip jazz score written by the late Lionel Newman. Newman's background scoring featured the craziest scat singing and bebop harmonies ever heard on a mainstream sitcom

The Newman Dynasty

Also: Dobie Gillis: The structural strategy of juxtaposing the teenage outsider and the mainstream sitcom family.


* update: I mean my post isn't worth a Ping, of course. CS' po-mo post is excellent.


Comments: dooby

That's only VERY irritating.
Posted by Tony.T at February 25, 2005 06:15 PM

Yes I know others who share your views on this genre. You would particularly like the 2nd clip.

Strange but it seems I have a very high beebop/ vocalese/whateffer threshold and LOVE that sound.

I would buy the CD.
To go with the "Lambert, Hendricks and Ross".
Posted by boynton at February 25, 2005 06:23 PM

I could only get one of the links to work. Were there other tunes?
Posted by Tony.T at February 25, 2005 06:59 PM

Oh? I'm talking about the
"You can hear it here"
link to Sitcoms online/The Many Lives of Dobie Gillis. 8 clips. Don't miss the 2nd.
Posted by boynton at February 25, 2005 07:17 PM

A Dye-Na-Steeeee.

http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0006213/bio
Posted by Alfred.E.Newman (Mad relation) at February 25, 2005 09:57 PM

http://www.dynastyarchives.co.uk/features_merchandise_mad.htm

http://www.collectmad.com/madcoversite/mad256.html

(You could have taken the Chocolates line too, you know, Alfred)
Posted by boynton at February 26, 2005 11:56 AM

Anatevka ...

http://www.collectmad.com/madcoversite/mad156.html
Posted by Fonebone at February 26, 2005 12:33 PM

I'll have to consult with Norabone, Fonebone.

She used to collect those, as I recall.
Posted by boynton at February 27, 2005 08:25 PM

Being 56, I have clear memory of viewing The many loves of Dobie Gillis and thought Thalia Menninger the jaded 17 year old played by Tuesday Weld was totally wonderful ( a sort of junior Barbara Stanwyk). Dobie did his pondering by a Rodin The Thinker statue, and was adored by The First Feminist Zelda Gilroy. For a young teenager in country Victoria, the jazzy music was only one aspect of this show's Pandora's Box of cultural inspiration.
Posted by Brownie at February 28, 2005 11:28 PM

I saw an episode on that David Lyle show 'Golden Years of TV" once. Enjoyed it - but wish I could see more. (Of the whole genre)
And apparently Dobie was on Regional TV (Ballarat) until the early seventies? There used to be compensations for being un-networked. I remember seeing "That Girl" in Gippsland in the early 90's.
Posted by boynton at March 1, 2005 01:34 PM

A message to 20th Century Fox...........

PLEASE, release a The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis
box set!!!!!!!!!! Thanks, Ray
Posted by Ray Bradley at January 1, 2006 05:55 PM

A message to 20th Century Fox...........

PLEASE, release a The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis
box set!!!!!!!!!! Thanks, Ray
Posted by Ray Bradley at January 1, 2006 05:55 PM

I saw a "Bonanza" box set the other day while I was browsing- so hopefully some of the 60's sitcoms will follow...
"The Patty Duke show" would be on my list
Posted by boynton at January 2, 2006 08:55 PM

No comments: