RECENT COMMENTS

Thursday, February 10, 2005

affirmation

Dust off your dial telephone and move to the suburbs - everything old and daggy is cool again. Geek Chic


(via media dragon)


Comments: affirmation?

How long before uncool is uncool again? Not long, I'm tipping.
Posted by Tony.T at February 10, 2005 02:17 PM

in the case of dial phones - never.

& in the case of Uncoolsville -
how long does it take to get there?
Posted by boynton at February 10, 2005 02:28 PM

Cool's a real paradox eh? boynton is cool even though she posts about daggy things like dial phones. I'm cool (headed) in a disaster but ultimately very daggy in the every day. Personally I think 'fashion victim' covers the uncool is cool thing. Fortunately, try as I sometimes might, I've never been rich or 'cool' enough to be one.
Posted by Link at February 10, 2005 02:51 PM

To be a cool in a crisis is as hip as it gets, Link.

I agree about the fashion victim thing. My brand of coolness has only ever been driven by economics.
What's going at the thrift this week.

Once it's been codified as cool it's a fad.
However - I'm still waiting for parkas to take off ina big way.
Posted by boynton at February 10, 2005 03:01 PM

Apparently lists in big letters are cool.
Posted by Tony.T at February 10, 2005 03:07 PM

There's certainly a mad rush to prove one's essential coolness going on...
OR NOT (in the case of b)

Most peculiar. I must do a Top songs of the 1930's and 40's and watch the comments ROLL IN.

(nb: Tony is referring to a HOT list of Top songs of the last 20 years featuring on Troppo and over at his place.)
Posted by boynton at February 10, 2005 03:19 PM

I'd certainly pop in the main title suite from 42nd Street.

The big parade goes on for years
It's a rhapsody of laughter and tears

Naughty

Bawdy

Gawdy

Sporty

42nd Street


I'd also pick Hang Out the Stars in Indiana.
Posted by Tony.T at February 10, 2005 03:38 PM

That

Miiddle
Bit

(naughty to sporty) is the best description of your blog I've ever read ;)
You really should pinch it, y'know.
Posted by boynton at February 10, 2005 03:45 PM

Done!

In the spirit of pinching, I'll say it was my idea, too.
Posted by Tony.T at February 10, 2005 03:49 PM

uncool:
http://www.crosleyradio.com/products/phones/cr_58.html
Posted by Kent at February 11, 2005 03:16 PM

if *that's* uncool, my name's not boynton.

(nb Link: Don't sell)

Thanks K - I'll explore that site properly soon.
Posted by boynton at February 11, 2005 03:26 PM

It has touchbuttons, no dial. Like a Gypsy Moth with a jet turbine.
Posted by Kent at February 11, 2005 04:09 PM

Now that's silly. TIGER moth, of the man-made variety.
Posted by Kent at February 11, 2005 04:09 PM

er Cancel that Call...

Just looked at the pictures, didn't I.

"Phone has the nostalgic rotary dial, it actually functions with push button technology. No more waiting for that rotary dial to make its excruciatingly slow rotation"

But the excruciantly slow rotation and the purr is the whole point for nostalgics like me. Still - if it has to be push button it may as well imitate a Tiger.
Oh did I mention that none of my five old phones works properly... ;)
Posted by boynton at February 11, 2005 04:26 PM

Since it's now cool to be uncool, that means being uncool is cool, which is uncool. Which is cool...in a kinda uncool way. And we're all cool with that, right?
Posted by Nabakov at February 12, 2005 01:59 PM

I always liked the K spelling
I mean mints rather than cigs.
(Guess I'm forever uncool. But the way the Allan's sign over the Yarra used to unfurl - that was koolsville)
Posted by boynton at February 13, 2005 12:10 PM

No comments: