RECENT COMMENTS

Monday, April 04, 2005

lines of poetry

Nick Piombino: “Going Toward Nothing”: “The Self-Stung Unfolding”

(Lines from The Best American Poetry of 2004, edited by Lyn Hejinian)
 

As soon as I began to read the book, it occurred
to me that a great deal of contemporary poetry continually
reflects on disillusionment and suffering, and not
a little of it, including much of my own recent work
focuses on the hardships of being a poet.

Then, as I paged through the book, I got an idea.
I thought of pulling out one sad, depressed, angry,
bitter or tragic line from each poem. At first I
did this in a provocative or critical way, but then
it became a way of reading the book with an eye
towards insight...



Comments: lines of poetry

We can only sympathise with the torture of Poet Laureate (not our Fluffy but) Andrew Motion whose effort for the Royal Wedding I have just read at the Guardian online.
Andy refers to (Diana) 'winter wreckage' at the source of the stream that is Chucky's heart. I have posted the whole damn thing on Go Away.
Posted by Brownie at April 9, 2005 07:08 PM

You can hear him reading it here
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/4427239.stm#

he discusses the line in question.
Posted by boynton at April 10, 2005 02:00 PM

No comments: