RECENT COMMENTS

Monday, April 04, 2005

gravitas

I think gravatars are only slightly less annoying than animated emoticons for blog noise, but I could be wrong.
(Although fears that it creates a hierarchy in the comment threads are possibly groundless as the trend widens)


Comments: gravitas


Is there now a term for the original emoticons made of punctuation? maybe Vintage Emoticons?

;)

Jarrett
Posted by Jarrett at April 4, 2005 02:06 PM

Unanimated? ;)


I should cover my gravitas here - who knows one day I may adopt this trend myself, and then I'd probably go for something "vintage".

Just find it a bit "noisy" that's all.
Posted by boynton at April 4, 2005 02:10 PM

Wouldn't you have a lovely old black Labrador as your signature, Boynton?
Posted by Norabone at April 5, 2005 12:06 PM

Alas, it would take a brave woman to adopt such a signature? ;)
As beautiful as a Black Labrador can be.
May be not so much of the "old" though...

No ofeence meant, btw, to people who like these things. It's just an aesthetic thing of preferring the look of white space, and text. Probably conservative.

And perhaps there's an inkling in blogging gravatar-creep that the power of words alone is soon to be supplanted?
Posted by boynton at April 5, 2005 12:53 PM

I can't see me ever putting those bloody pictures in comments at das flute. It would be like wearing fluoro socks to the Reform Club.
Posted by flute at April 5, 2005 09:46 PM

I thought das flute had those bloody pictures?

Acceptable attire if it's fluoro Socks Day.
Posted by boynton at April 5, 2005 09:59 PM

"...that the power of words alone is soon to be supplanted?"

http://metaatem.net/words/Or%20perhaps%20not
Posted by Nabakov at April 5, 2005 10:29 PM

http://metaatem.net/words/who%20said%20that?

http://metaatem.net/words/blind%20as%20a%20bat
Posted by boynton at April 5, 2005 10:44 PM

Whoops. I forgot the

http://metaatem.net/words/wink
Posted by boynton at April 5, 2005 10:58 PM

Wot's a "blind asabat"?

Sounds sorta like a great insult. "You blind assbat you!"
Posted by Nabakov at April 6, 2005 12:03 AM

ass abat right

Might start calling people that.
Posted by boynton at April 6, 2005 12:17 AM

No way miss, I wear a gravatar out and about but not at home.
Posted by flute at April 6, 2005 12:58 PM

If you got a labrador, it could chase all the cats away.

Gravatars will soon be seen as the blog equivalent of Loony Tunes ties.
Posted by Tony.T at April 6, 2005 01:16 PM

Actually my labrador liked cats.

(The Jack Russell is the worst offender there, even though she's smaller than most feline visitors.)

So have you registered yours yet?
Posted by boynton at April 6, 2005 01:28 PM

I hate to say it, but I think Ms Zoe crazybrave is largely responsible for popularising this gross affliction upon the aesthetics of the'sphere, Miss Boynton. And now that the dreaded Nabakov has joined the enemy, I fear the dignity of clean blog print is domed.
Posted by cs at April 7, 2005 12:51 AM

"I fear the dignity of clean blog print is domed."

Nah, it's not some semi-spherical architectural roofing solution. I think it's more like what Tony T said, a fad like Looney Tune Ties. Of course it could evolve in ways we just can't predict.

But for the moment I like this gravater thingy 'cos it helps me get in character when commenting - and provides another angle to riff off of other commentators.

*Huk, hurk, huk. Furball! huurrk*
Posted by Nabakov at April 7, 2005 01:51 AM

I think you're right about the origins, CS.
Zoe's was the first I saw.
I do like them on an individual basis - Zoe's yellow flower is lovely, Nabakov's black cat very kool...But when everyone gets a stamp, it just gets a bit cluttered imho- (imh and white-space-preferring o)
Hope it's a fad that fades, but I may stand corrected and may even join in the iconography one day.

That's Naba kov kov kov?
Posted by boynton at April 7, 2005 12:35 PM

wotalotof drivel, each person contributing a meaningless load of baseless claptrap, I suggest you all crawl away and boil your heads.
Posted by at April 8, 2005 06:29 PM

Oh, Oh, someone lifted the rock.
Posted by cs at April 8, 2005 06:32 PM

To Anon....if you think it is a lot of dribble and "meaningless claptrap". Why are you here?
Posted by Concerned Patron. at April 8, 2005 07:05 PM

What's the gravatar of a troll?

Can of spam?
Posted by boynton at April 8, 2005 07:08 PM

- sorry Concerned Patron, that wasn't directed at you, but you know who...
Posted by boynton at April 8, 2005 07:10 PM

how about shitars? everytime someone scrolls to your comment, your favourite ringtone plays. thus, you don't have to rely on boring old skool "words" to make an individual statement.
Posted by flute at April 8, 2005 08:48 PM

Alas - only a matter of time. Mission possible...

Coincidentally, I heard Red Symons this morning joking about the possibility of an ABC audio watermark.
Posted by boynton at April 8, 2005 11:43 PM

Inevitable comment deletion.
Posted by boynton at April 9, 2005 10:34 AM

Kleenex Ahoy Kleenex Ahoy
Posted by at April 9, 2005 10:57 AM

Thank-you Boynton......l was starting to get worried.
Posted by Concerned Patron. at April 9, 2005 10:57 AM

cs appears to have been unable to resist this gross affliction upon the aesthetics of the 'sphere

unless another Whitely nut with the same address is impersonating him at http://larvatusprodeo.redrag.net/2005/04/09/blair-vs-lowenstein/#comment-1717
Posted by at April 12, 2005 04:52 PM

How thoughtful of you to dob me in dear anonymous - and that would be 'Whiteley', btw.

(I plead the 'if you can't beat em' defence Miss Boynton, plus whatever Nabbers says)
Posted by cs at April 12, 2005 07:33 PM

well, like the black cat, the whiteley bird is cool

as far as gravatars go

though I will NEVER have a gravatar

unless I change my mind
Posted by boynton at April 12, 2005 09:05 PM

Shame you feel so strongly about not gravating Bonty. I'd found a nice artwork you could crop an gravator image from.

http://gaming.unlv.edu/gallery/a_friend_in_need.htm

*cocks sardonic eyebrow at cs, adjusts clothing and notes the nearest exit*
Posted by Nabakov at April 13, 2005 03:20 AM

I once blogged about those famous prints, but can't find the bloggered archives now. Grew up with them, so they have the necessary nostalgic value.

I duly cropped - but am reluctant to infringe © - to zoom in on the card in question.

That detail - The paw of Dog - reminiscent of The hand of God.
Posted by boynton at April 13, 2005 01:12 PM

I dobbed Chris in, and I didn't mean to do it anonymously, I just didn't have the cookie thingy on.

Honest.
Posted by Zoe at April 14, 2005 07:45 PM

A cookie might be a nice gravatar...
Hmmm ...that might take the biscuit. ;)

btw - I was wrong with the "yellow flower" description, Zoe. Closer inspection reveals a White flower near yellow Sorry about that.
Posted by boynton at April 14, 2005 08:00 PM

No comments: