RECENT COMMENTS

Wednesday, April 28, 2004

nick drake

Stranger to the World The Inner Life of Nick Drake


Drake's sister would be lying if she said she hadn't entertained the notion of a film at some point. There have been several approaches. But in the end, as the guardian of Drake's legacy, the actress Gabrielle Drake finds it hard to see what would be served by such an exercise: 'He's a wonderful romantic hero. But any films about the lives of artists end up making them smaller, not bigger. It's hard to think of someone capturing those almost uncapturable nuances. Also, any film, in the end, is trying to be an explanation of the artist



Nick Drake Time has Told Me
These files constitute the entire contents of the limited vinyl triple album .
(via J walk)


Comments: nick drake

Personally I can imagine few things more boring than a Nick Drake film.
Posted by James Russell at April 28, 2004 03:45 PM

I thought I had missed one already on SBS last year?

anyway - I was hoping a cinephile would weigh in with a few examples of good films about artists, James. Are there any?
(I was too rushed to do a proper post on this)
I suspect there might even be a film which makes an artist bigger than they were - ie the film might eclipse them?
Posted by boynton at April 28, 2004 04:04 PM

To a small extent, I get rather confuse as what or who largely imitates whom...
Posted by Jozef at April 28, 2004 09:19 PM

You're right, most movies about rock stars are bad-costume festivals. I did like "Time of No Reply" which was the Nick Drake documentary out about a year or so ago. Can't think of many artist biopics I've liked, except "Carrington," but I'm a Bloomsbury enthusiast.
Posted by Anne at April 29, 2004 04:19 AM

(hits "post," chokes, shrieks "nooooooo!" alarming neighbors)

Sorry, the documentary was called "A Skin Too Few." What was I thinking?
Posted by Anne at April 29, 2004 04:21 AM

I can sometimes agree. My life seems a mass of tangled wires that connect somehow...somewhere...
Posted by Mel at April 29, 2004 08:25 AM

Yes I guess it can all get a bit recursive
(See 'Girl with the Pirl E') sometimes, Jozef.

(I must have been pretty confused myself lumping biopic and doco and artist into one query...)

Anne - that was the one I missed. Must catch up with it. And I agree about Carrington.
Also Watkins' Edvard Munch was pretty good.

My life is like that too, Mel. (Although perhaps less exciting)
Posted by boynton at April 29, 2004 02:18 PM

If a film about an artist has been any good, it's probably been a documentary rather than a fictionalised biopic. I can't think of any of the latter off the top of my head that I'm particularly keen on.

Wouldn't refer to myself as a cinephile either. I'm someone who enjoys watching films, which is in my opinion different from a cinephile. (If you're really interested I have a whole essay on the subject that I can show you...)
Posted by James Russell at April 29, 2004 07:49 PM

Sorry about the terminology, James.
(I had thought the c word was less offensive than the f b word, but I guess both are quite wrong)

Yes I would be interested in the essay (linked?)

Still think 'Edvard Munch' was ok. But that's off the top of my swirling head too...
Posted by boynton at April 29, 2004 08:29 PM

Oh don't worry, it's probably only me that finds the c word offensive :) I don't have the essay linked anywhere, but will whack it into a zip file and mail it along to you...
Posted by James Russell at April 30, 2004 12:09 AM

Ooh, and I've just discovered SBS are showing that Edvard Munch film in two parts (the 8th and the 15th) next month...
Posted by James Russell at April 30, 2004 01:12 AM

No comments: