RECENT COMMENTS

Tuesday, January 06, 2004

virtual bbq

I like this Create a meal BBQ menu (via the Presurfer)
There's something of the smorgasbord-orgy of piling a plate with food. Never mind the calories it's the composition that counts. Although when boynton first encountered this, she did that social BBQ behaviour of freezing before the array of choices, and slowly placing one garlic bread and one glass of white on the large blank canvas of plate. This was then followed by the breakout blitz of chocolate cake, icecream and six glasses of wine when no one was watching.

Tried to find a virtual small talk generator to brush up the social skills, but all I could find were these font-centric phrases. I recently observed a colleague of yours critiquing ornamented ligatures. Might work. But then again might only enhance one's eccentric reputation.

See also:
polyunsaturating from Product Placement - a gallery of advertising, packaging and ephemera (via Things)



Comments: virtual bbq

Watch that calorie count blow out when you visit the Maccas, Pizza Hut & Subway versions of Calorie King! Just substitute a 1,2 or 3 in the address bar. BTW Alan Baroushek had one of those Abe Lincoln beard things happening didn't he? What IS the calorie count for a moustache? I suppose it depends on the viscosity of what is gobbled up.
Posted by Nora at January 6, 2004 05:05 PM

Nora, that's very funny but my stomach also just rolled over as i laughed. I think the beard was just a trick to conceal the fact that he is a marketing construct by a publishing company. The calorie figures are probably adjusted according to 'research donations".

When it comes to dieting, which I probably should become acquainted with again soon, I can never forget meeting a feller from CSIRO Human Nutrition called "Dr David Topping." True dinks. He extolled the virtue of the baked bean.

Now, baked beans stuck in my beard. Your stomach rolled over? Oh goody..
Posted by David Tiley at January 6, 2004 05:45 PM

O no, David, don't tell me Allan is a Betty Crocker or a Mavis Beacon type of construct?
I thought 'twas the very abe-ness of his beard that ensured his actual existence?

I will possibly need to diet again soon after all the Christmas "Vitamin Ch" (as Cathy b might say)
= choc and champagne, and as Doug ages I have cut down the brisk walking. Might have to look old Al up again.

I like the baked bean myself, but have no baked beard to worry about.
(And what is Dr Topping's middle name?)
Posted by boynton at January 6, 2004 06:39 PM

2020, 132, 72. But only one lot of ribs allowed. Please, Virt. May I have some more?
Posted by Tony.T at January 6, 2004 11:28 PM

I noticed this quota thing happening with the Bar.
Which is why I had to start on the dreaded red ;)

And it's also possible to put things back (just to brush up the gaffe skills)
Posted by boynton at January 7, 2004 01:24 PM

I googled David Topping and found this article...
http://www.abc.net.au/rn/talks/8.30/helthrpt/stories/s265.htm

To get the full flavour of this, you have to remember that Norman Swann has a considerable Scottish brogue, and that David Topping is a proud welshman, bach.

You may think early in this aricle that David is advocating fixing our diet by eating the beans and following it up with the can, but that's soon dispelled by the rest of the story. And the transcriber, who was probably helpless with laughter (unless s/he was called Evans, child of Evans the Post) consistently called Dr Topping "De Topping". Prob'ly from Jamaica.

(i might put this on barista... its become obvious that the idiot articles are much more appreciated than anything serious..)
Posted by David Tiley at January 7, 2004 02:37 PM

Dat link made me laugh on dis gloomy day. When I encountered de line:

De Topping: A resistant starch is starch which escapes digestion in the human small intestine

I lost it and laughed and laffed, especially with de accents in mind.
Posted by boynton at January 7, 2004 02:59 PM

No comments: