RECENT COMMENTS

Friday, January 02, 2004

hush

You can hear the hush around the ground announced Bill Lawry from the Sydney Cricket Ground...

We heard the hum...The neighbours have just installed an airconditioner on their roof outside the window that looks like this. After 100 years of hush this garden now has a kind of hum in it. Apparently they can get louder with age, the hum developing a bit of a rattle. Hmmm...may just have to turn up the karaoke in the evenings.


Comments: hush

The look in that air conditioner's eye reminds of devil-dog herself...Flo the bluey...
Posted by Nora at January 3, 2004 12:18 AM

uncanny.
the air flo is wild and erratic and nippy.

but the air con monster is a tad more obnoxious and drives me up da wall...
Posted by boynton at January 3, 2004 12:26 AM

We have a particularly noisy caff nearby on Fitzroy St, called ironically "The Library Bar". I occasionally fantasise about arriving outside with one of those small trebuchets - the plans are on the internet - and just firing poo into the astonished customers until they get the hint.

Even further off topic, in Clunes during the last week there has been very little movement on the streets. A few tourists, the occasional aged motor bike with no silencers - and floating ghostlike through the heat haze would come the "Ballarat Cadaver Collector" truck, slogan "Cadavers from Dawn to Dusk", number plate "Knack":. I kid you not.

I didn't miss the city noise. In this rural house could be heard: one computer, noisy, one ceiling fan, noisy, one kitchen fan, noisy, one pool pump labouring to thnuk thnuk slime endlessly through itself - and one reverse cycle airconditioner which eerily refused to stop even when it was turned off.

ps - I've just realised if I use my full name in comments, I can track them through google, turning it into a kind of weird half diary of myself. Particularly if I keep posting like this..
Posted by David Tiley at January 3, 2004 05:09 PM

The inner-city noise didn't bother me as much, but this little backwater was as quiet as some country houses I have dwelt in. That's why you get so jealous of the stillness, and resentful of the monster. Maybe I'm turnin' suburban - haven't started logging it yet, but do notice it's back to the old quiet of yore because it's OFF.

That truck is quite a 'novel' image...

and the comments thing is really interesting. Part of the evolution, no doubt.
Posted by boynton at January 3, 2004 05:54 PM

It's comforting to know that the "Ballarat Cadaver Collector" is not out collecting after dark!
Posted by Nora at January 4, 2004 02:08 PM

Nora I laughed until my stomach hurt. YES!
Posted by David Tiley at January 4, 2004 03:07 PM

O.K. Tiley. For me 2004 is the year of the upstager.

"slogan "Cadavers from Dawn to Dusk", number plate "Knack":. I kid you not."

PSHAW!

Yet again in search of a tasty canard, we turned the Armstrong-Sidley into a side street off Brunswick St. Found a parking spot outside a maison d'ill repute. On the footpath outside the red-light terrace house was a wheely bin emblazoned with the livery of the refuse disposal company ... "Beaver Bins".
Posted by Sedgwick at January 4, 2004 10:57 PM

Let's face it sledge, my role is to egg you on. All that pesky drawing has been holding you back.
Posted by David Tiley at January 5, 2004 11:57 AM

was going to say something like the gothic truck took a turn up the benny hill, but I stalled.
Posted by boynton at January 5, 2004 12:09 PM

Egg roles. No thanks Mr. T., I'm a wonton man meself.
Posted by Sedgwick at January 5, 2004 04:23 PM

No comments: