RECENT COMMENTS

Monday, August 22, 2005

lit action

via dumbfoundry I've just caught up with the Jane Austen Action Figure...
This 5-1/4" tall, hard vinyl action figure comes with a book (Pride & Prejudice) and a writing desk with removable quill pen!


Jane is about 11" tall if you stand her up. describes another JA model, alongside 11" Tall and oh, so smart! Emily Dickinson

Jane vs Emily
Flickr Tag Fight via Diversionz


Comments: lit action

I saw Beethoven and Einstein action figures at Creative house, the Yarraville emporium of all things cool and useless. I'm still regretting not buying the Einstein.
Posted by Helen at August 23, 2005 10:57 AM

Does that mean you bought the Beethoven?

"All things Cool and Useless" is indeed a new category in consumption isn't it.
Posted by boynton at August 23, 2005 01:02 PM

Jane Austen and Beethoven action figures?

Wow! Sounds even cooler than this.
http://www.jesuschristsuperstore.net/lfigurespages/lfgod.html
(the Allah one alone is worth the price of admission alone)

Myself? I have perched on my work computer a 5" high all moveable-limbs Hunter S. Thompson (Uncle Duke) action figure, complete with accessories like a Uzi and a martini glass.

Sometimes I let even it answer the phone for me.
Posted by Nabakov at August 23, 2005 08:27 PM

Yes the Allah one is cool, but I notice Moses has sold out.
I'm waiting for a Godot action figure myself.


& what is The Duke's telephone greeting, I wonder
Posted by boynton at August 23, 2005 11:14 PM

"& what is The Duke's telephone greeting, I wonder"

'Whatever number you think you called, you're wrong. But if that's you Persephone, I can't talk right now. Your Mum is here and has just discovered the gun and 'shroom case."
Posted by Nabakov at August 24, 2005 12:40 AM

Meanwhile from "Answering Machine messages of Jane Austen characters:
"Mary Musgrove: "I am very ill today and quite unable to answer the phone. If I had a visitor, I suppose that person could have spoken with you, but it does not suit the Miss Musgroves to visit the ill, and I dare not rise from my bed for fear that I may be seized in some dreadful way!"
http://www.pemberley.com/janeinfo/austt10j.html#misc

Whereas Emily D might say:
"I heard a phone buzz...
Please leave a message after the dash -"
Posted by boynton at August 24, 2005 04:53 PM

Wittgenstein's answering machine message:
"Hi, I may or may not be in. If you don't have a message, then don't leave it."

Henry James:
"I do thank you for attempting to communicate with me, though why yet I cannot fathom although it is perhaps premature to raise this point so early, through this wonderously thin wire, one as tenous yet potent as the threads which connects so many lives, but which yet do not so depend so much on the motive powers of electricity, but a link none the less that binds in- *beep, beep, beep*

Sam Beckett:
"Speak! I will listen eventually."
Posted by Nabakov at August 25, 2005 07:32 PM

"I go, and it is done; the bell invites me.
Hear it not, boynton, for it is a telephone"


Posted by boynton at August 25, 2005 08:02 PM

I would, on balance, take Emily over Jane, though it would be a close run thing - perhps the width of a bit of ivory between them...
Posted by dave at August 27, 2005 05:50 AM

Or a tiny hard vinyl -
removable quill pen?
Posted by boynton at August 27, 2005 04:14 PM

No comments: