RECENT COMMENTS

Sunday, August 28, 2005

conversations

The blog originated in January as a catch basin for mental detritus, for the kind of stuff not good enough for print, but too good to waste on casual conversation or, worse, mere thinking. But this spring I began allowing "comments," and the blog suddenly mutated. ..

The general trend in blogs seems to be the diminution of the blogger and the elevation of the commentariat...

The Tail that wags the Blog (via J walk)

 


"Writing for the blog is more like having a conversation," Mr. Battelle said.

For years, book authors have used the Internet to publicize their work and to keep in touch with readers. Several, like Mr. Battelle, are now experimenting with maintaining blogs while still in the act of writing their books...
Dear Blog: Today I Worked on My Book (via you cried for night)



Comments: conversations

Batelle's idea is interesting. I thought of doing something similar at one stage, and even wrote a post on an aspect of my book. Couldn't put it up, however, as I was blocked by an old superstition about talking your writing away.
Posted by cs at August 28, 2005 05:41 PM

Fascinating area.
There's that old superstition, and there's a mind-set of collaboration that could possibly difuse any disquiet? Writer becomes more editor or moderator? Parallels in some writing work I've done, not always a good experience.

Perhaps it's knowing when to float the ideas, as with the Weinberger example.
Posted by boynton at August 28, 2005 06:00 PM

It was Hemingway who impressed upon me the "fragility of writing", and he was always concerned that "talking about it can spook it".
Posted by cs at August 28, 2005 06:12 PM

I've walked the talk with that spook myself.
(Dramaturgy is a delicate game.)
Posted by boynton at August 28, 2005 06:19 PM

BTW, the first link doesn't work for me Miss.
Posted by cs at August 28, 2005 07:23 PM

whoops - fixed now. Thanks.
Posted by boynton at August 28, 2005 07:50 PM

Oh - I should have checked Media Dragon...
http://amediadragon.blogspot.com/2005/08/just-because-i-turned-61-this-year.html
Posted by boynton at August 28, 2005 11:57 PM

He does a good job, our Jozef.
Posted by cs at August 29, 2005 12:07 AM

Yes indeed.
Anything meta - better check 'a media dragon' ...
Posted by boynton at August 29, 2005 01:53 PM

No comments: