RECENT COMMENTS

Wednesday, November 26, 2003

suzanne

The story of the woman who inspired the Leonard Cohen song Suzanne
(via Incoming Signals)

One of my sisters used to sing this song rather soulfully around the house in days gone by. At least she didn't sing the canadian 'OR anges' like a domestic troubadour of more recent times.



Comments: suzanne

In some ways for me that song is emblematic of a whole generation. These days we are sidling up on "Closing Time"..
Posted by David at November 26, 2003 05:20 PM

well yes, but of course I was the YOUNGEST sister (she hastens to add)
Didn't mean to sound snarky about that song. I've always liked it - and agree about its emblematic meaning.
It was quite sobering to read of the mixed feelings - even sadness - associated with the song for "suzanne".
Posted by boynton at November 26, 2003 05:29 PM

It's a very odd combination - but I discovered Leonard Cohen about the same time as I read the poetry of Spike Milligan. Somehow 'Suzanne' and 'I thought I saw Jesus on a train' (I said are you Jesus/he said yes I am) are all mixed up in my head....
Posted by wen at November 26, 2003 09:04 PM

and you could throw in The Hollies for good measure:
"I can't make it if you leave me
I'm sorry Suzanne, believe me
I was wrong
And I knew I was all along
Forgive me"

something of the goony supplication there too,
but I do like that bit of Spike I must say.
Posted by boynton at November 27, 2003 12:08 AM

...Suzanne the plans they made put an end to you...
Posted by nora at November 27, 2003 03:57 PM

ah yes - another emblematic song that my sister used to sing, Nora.
Posted by boynton at November 27, 2003 04:47 PM

Ah, Suzanne. Immediately think of one of my top 5 favorite singers. The quite impossible, but wonderful Nina Simone. Velvet and mahogany in a voice.

(Dammit, I'm coming over all lyrical like.)
Posted by Sedgwick at November 27, 2003 07:45 PM

Yes, Nina is certainly up there round here.
Posted by boynton at November 28, 2003 03:48 PM

No comments: