RECENT COMMENTS

Tuesday, November 04, 2003

the cup

Big Philou and West Australian Fashion-on-the-Field entrant, Caroline Bell, at the 1969 Melbourne Cup

(fairfax photos )

Cup Day. Public holiday. Perfect Blue Sky. Mummify scratched. Frightening firming. My tip is again distinctly secret. We're off.


Comments: the cup

11.30. Backyard BBQ in full swing. The supply of Moet is looking a little shock and awed. Boy, the Hilton girlies can knock the bubbly back. I think I actually heard one of them let fly with a polysyllable ... think it's the drink talking.

Frightening, my tip from a fortnight ago still stands. Don't like the cramped odds though. Millstreet, Big Pat and Yakama juicily over the odds.

Must go Paris and Nicki need refills. (At this rate we'll be necking bottles of Black Tulip and Marsarla by mid afternoon.)
Posted by Sedgwick at November 4, 2003 11:48 AM

I went down to the office around 2pm, picked up my named horse in the sweepstake, and watched the big race on a TV that snowed.

My horse was mentioned once in the middle, or so it seemed. All I could think about was gambling fraud on a day when everyone becomes a punter.

Serious money (into the six figures) went on an overseas horse with Arab conections that ran last or there abouts.

Was that Mamool?

I drove home worrying about the interest rate rise and considering the role of ASIO safeguarding our national security.

I suddenly felt relaxed and comfortable.

I understood from the commentators that everyone who was anyone was anyone was there all pretending that they were as Aussie as a pie and sauce.

I'm known as someone who doesn't really follow the nags. It's the Reserve Bank I'm keeping my eye on.
Posted by Gary Sauer-Thompson at November 4, 2003 06:07 PM

Wish I'd seen the perfect blue sky before the skywriting idiot got to it.
Posted by Gummo Trotsky at November 4, 2003 09:09 PM

I used to punt on the US Federal Reserve Nags at that notorious gambling den known as the Chigago Board of Trade. (www.cbot.com)

A very exciting form of life which could also be described as 'how to get a stomach ulcer in six weeks'.
Posted by Scott Wickstein at November 5, 2003 12:45 AM

It was all over before we woke up!
Posted by Averil at November 5, 2003 08:42 AM

Sedgwick - a glass of Moet and I'm a poet.
Ysterday's tips look distinctly frightening now, don't they. ;)
Gary - I confess I love the Cup. Always have. Even when I'm a mug punter.
Gummo - yep - I turned and looked to the east.
Scott - wondered why Ubersporting wasn't covering the nags? How about Ulcersportingpundit?
Averil - lots of Melburnians could probably say the same! To see the perfect day on TV may have made you homesick anyway. One out of the box!
Posted by boynton at November 5, 2003 10:40 AM

No comments: