RECENT COMMENTS

Tuesday, October 28, 2003

retro-hetero

One indelible memory is the first seminar I attended at Big East Coast University. One of my classmates saw my wedding ring and asked if I was married. I said, yes, and she asked, "Happily?" Another student sneered, "Wow, married ... how retro-hetero-normative." Others snickered in approval.
Thomas Benton Leaving the Big City for Small-Town College Life via Jerz's Literacy Weblog

It has been a few years since I left, but I retain a grad school superego. It sneers at everything I am. But I am determined to sneer back. I am irony ironized. My new life is surrounded by so many quotation marks that they cancel each other out.


Comments: retro-hetero

Great article. Reminds me of that terrific letter written into the herald by a suburban guy railing against inner-city sneering: "Dare to be the same".
Posted by wen at October 28, 2003 02:06 PM

Sounds good. Always anti the sneer.

If Green Acres were to return to our screens it seems it would have to be "Green Acres".
(Or was that "Northern Exposure" et al?)
Posted by boynton at October 29, 2003 11:31 AM

No comments: