RECENT COMMENTS

Wednesday, May 25, 2005

resemblances

I was sipping latte at an oudoor cafe last week in lieu of chardonnay
when I noticed a black dog who resembled my late great so much that I began to stare rather hungrily at flashes of memory.
So much so that I had to explain my fixation to the owner.
'Look, he waits for us to say when' the man said
as the dog chomped a chip on command.
'No well that's not like my dog then' I said as they left
and I was still trying to pick off resemblance.

Their place was taken by a man with a novel and a long haired Jack Russell with enough similarity to catch my eye despite the predominance of white

'I have one just like that' I explained...
and he asked me to watch her as he went up to order.

I said to my friend:
'If someone turns up with a blue heeler now
I'm saying nothing'

 


(although I confess when I saw this picture of a heeler I thought:
that really could be Flo flying after a Frisbee, if she wasn't so unco and clumsy with aerial sport.)
via (via exclamation mark)


Comments: resemblances

"unco"

First time I've seen that fine familiar word for (and how dare I use this modern term) yonks.

Churchill was likewise familiar with a 'black dog'.
Posted by Sedgwick at May 25, 2005 07:27 PM

Hee-hee to clumsiness

I was not aware of any breed called the True Believers?

I had a black dog, Bessie, once a rather radical chance to Lillie the ruthless King Charles Spaniel who loves reading blogs with pictures ;-)
Posted by Jozef Imrich at May 26, 2005 07:41 AM

Unco? Oh - I didn't know this was retro?
If so, I revive it every day ;)
(Could say every dinky-di - but that's pushing the heritage envelope a little too far.)

And yes, I've observed that other black dog too...

I've observed a few King Charles Spaniels recently, Jozef, on my walks. Are they the most benign dogs in the land?
The Jack RT watches TV if it features dogs.
Haven't tested her on blogs yet.
(She'd probably say blogs eat into her elbow-rubbing time down at the offline park)
Posted by boynton at May 26, 2005 12:01 PM

Could "That Black Dog " be your black dog reincarnated ?
Posted by at May 26, 2005 06:53 PM

I don't believe in it.

That black dog was middle aged which rules it out, anyway.

The other black dog was often held at bay by the black lab
Posted by boynton at May 26, 2005 06:59 PM

Don't believe in reincarnation ?

lt could have had your dogs soul thats why you were so drawn to it.
Posted by at May 26, 2005 08:41 PM

No - I don't share that belief.

The reason I was drawn to him was that he bore a striking physical resemblance to my late dog. Also he was about three feet away from where I was sitting.
Posted by boynton at May 26, 2005 09:03 PM

Hi-

Just wanted to mention that right now your memories are bringing back my memories.

I was 6 and my first dog was a black cocker spaniel named Lady.

One day she ran out into the road was run over by a truck.
How very sad for a little boy.

But right now, I appreciate having a moment's remembrance of Lady who I haven't had the occasion to think about for a very long time!


Posted by Nick Piombino at June 1, 2005 11:02 AM

Thanks for dropping by, Nick.

It is the saddest thing, isn't it.
We had a few incidents like that when I grew up, living on a main road. Probably sadder though, was having to have a loved crazydog 'destroyed' for his inclination to bite people.


Posted by boynton at June 1, 2005 01:46 PM

No comments: