RECENT COMMENTS

Thursday, May 26, 2005

meccano girls

I'm sorry if that last did seem a bit sexist, as a commenter has suggested.
Maybe I was writing in the mid-century unreconstructed construction-kitted boyhood catalogue house style.
Looking for some counter images I found this pic with the claim:
the first and last time that both boys and girls were featured on a Meccano set
-which on face value seems rather dubious?

Anyway these are from the 1977 catalogue era.

and a Tin Label from 1939

(For the record, Lego was my construction toy system of choice.)


Comments: meccano girls

Lego for me too, none of this Meccano jazz. My friend had a sailing ship kit, and I was superficially jealous, but in truth very proud of my workmanlike all-purpose Legomen and women with their little caps and overalls.
Posted by Kent at May 27, 2005 02:22 AM

(naturally also balding and generally stored in separate torso/legs/head combinations)
Posted by Kent at May 27, 2005 02:24 AM

Thankyou for the find , l'm happy now.
You had me worried for a minute.....
Posted by at May 27, 2005 09:37 AM

I was just a builder of basic suburban 12 square bungalows, but watched the boom as a series of nephews (and nieces) constructed (and destroyed) more imaginative engineering feats.
And I'm probably being anti-feminist again, but I liked the figures the best. The windows were nice too.
Posted by boynton at May 27, 2005 12:39 PM

No comments: