RECENT COMMENTS

Thursday, May 26, 2005

meccano

Every model-builder should read the Meccano magazine...

Scanned Meccano Papers, Catalogues and Magazines (via the cartoonist)

Even in thumbnails you can see what boys like:
Microscopes and telescopes, things with engines, planes.
Sockets and rockets, angle girders and springs, plans.

Boyhood's best days -


Comments: meccano

Can you actually build a racing car, train and lighthouse out of Meccano?

I know you can build a crane. And a ... err ... square thing.
Posted by Tony.T at May 26, 2005 01:49 PM

Mmmm, Meccano. For those times when Lego isn't enough.

And yeah sure you can Tony. I once built a Meccano plane that you could actually get inside - if you were 3 inches tall that is.
Posted by Nabakov at May 26, 2005 05:20 PM

Well, according to that last link, 'these are similar to real parts used by real engineers'?

I used to passively watch my brother construct square things, after which I might run up a quick non-figurative ephemeral conversation-piece for the living room.
Meccano, like chess, needed a narrative I always thought.


And I saw this one with the catchy name before that reminded me of Lego.

http://www.dalefield.com/mm/MM_1954-10/pages/5410-N05.htm
Posted by boynton at May 26, 2005 06:09 PM

Meccano is not only for boys , girls like them too!!
We are living in the 21st century !
Posted by at May 26, 2005 06:49 PM

Yup

The papers though are from the 2Oth century !
1916 - 1981
Posted by boynton at May 26, 2005 06:54 PM

The thumbnail with a picture of a 50,000 tonne battleship did get me thinking about where I went wrong with Meccano.
Posted by Nabakov at May 27, 2005 01:14 AM

Though I'd be happy to construct a sentence like this at home:
"Considerable skill was required to nudge the huge vessel around a right angle turn into her present berth on the narrow Cape Fear River"

Posted by boynton at May 27, 2005 12:32 PM

No comments: