RECENT COMMENTS

Monday, December 15, 2003

trees and bach

What took me to the evil borders listening consoles in a store opposite a superior local bookshop was a search for more Bach, realising I was suffering some domestic deficiency. Still thinking of El Grande, through soul food cafe I had chanced upon this beautiful post by Cassandra - Requiem for a tree (with its own reference to Bach)

I think I first read this among the forest of thought at Ecotone's Trees and Place

Meanwhile from the links to midi files at the J.S. Bach Home Page I've been listening to these


Comments: trees and bach

Is borders evil? Who knew?
Posted by Scott Wickstein at December 16, 2003 02:13 AM

Up at Carlton, anyway, where the global vs. local
contenders are pitched on opposite sides of the street.
Though a lefty friend of a righty friend was once explaining to me why he shopped at the mutli-national book store. Something about Publishing rights I recall, in pub legalese. Red wine was being imbibed at the time.
Posted by boynton at December 16, 2003 11:29 AM

Red wine?

I shop at borders because it's civillised. And it has a huge history section.
Posted by Scott Wickstein at December 17, 2003 12:16 AM

I shop at Book City, Puckle St. because I can go to the remainder table and for 50c pick up biographies of former Oz pollies a week after their publication. (Autobiographies a mere 25c, the day after their release.)

Mind you I still feel short changed.
Posted by Sedgwick at December 17, 2003 06:11 AM

Yes red wine sans bubbles. Maybe even South Australian.
The bigger borders store is good for a browse - the history is indeed bountiful. (Not to mention the 'animals/dogs/general' or 'collecting' sections, or even the Lounge music. That covers everything, doesn't it?) The Poetry is pretty good too. So I window read and window listen.
This may be bad.

And I used to like Book City myself, Sedgwick, in the early days, when you could take half a kilo of biogs and a kilo of fiction up to the weighing station. I thought it had folded, and I generally opt for the 50 cent specials at the Salvos instead, where you can still pick up "Afternoon Light" or "The colt from Kooyong" or even Dame Zara's "Harry and Me" for a gold coin.
Posted by boynton at December 17, 2003 02:26 PM

No comments: