RECENT COMMENTS

Thursday, December 04, 2003

punctuation

Don't think I'll disclose how I did in this BBC How's your punctuation quiz. Makes me wish I was American, then at least I could claim some "differences in conventions". Maybe oz is somewhere between us and uk on these things.


Comments: punctuation

[{er:k~!/"?}]

Damn commas. I am haunted by commas. Do I use too many? For all the Beeb's (singular noun) flaunting (verb used as noun?) of its skill with the errant apostrophe (and what a USELESS object), it still doesn't help with commas. Sorry, "commas". Or, if I am an American "commas". Or back to front. Or something.

SMS will clear all this crap out. If only I could read it without moving my lipth like thome themiliterate medieval monk.
Posted by David at December 4, 2003 02:16 PM

if you got better than five, you did better than I. I think the different conventions excuse is a reasonable excuse; Australians, for, example, are, noted, for, "overusing" commas.
Posted by Gummo Trotsky at December 4, 2003 03:25 PM

Whereas I suffer horribly with period pain ...

(Runs away shamefaced.)
Posted by Sedgwick at December 4, 2003 03:34 PM

David - I'm yet to get a mobile, so am not even converthant in SMS.
Gummo, no comma, no I mean, no comment.
Posted by boynton at December 4, 2003 03:37 PM

just missed that mad dash, Mr. S.
Guess they cramp your style...
Posted by boynton at December 4, 2003 03:39 PM

Hoppo bumpo commo Gummo.

Now say that 10 times with a mouth full of popcorn.

(Guess who's avoiding a deadline.)
Posted by Sedgwick at December 4, 2003 05:20 PM

6. Lucky im not a english teecher.
Posted by Tony.T at December 4, 2003 06:39 PM

Six is the benchmark.
I got confused with the red herring of Sir Ian. Not to be confused with "smoked herring." Which would of course be "Kipper".
Posted by boynton at December 4, 2003 08:32 PM

Oh Nooo - I'm a teacher's pet.
Its, not, like, true?
Posted by wen at December 5, 2003 07:09 AM

And I lied - I wouldn't really use a semi-colon when asking for christmas presents. I prefer dashing through my sentences....
Posted by wen at December 5, 2003 07:11 AM

and as befits the season of gifts and mellow fruitful tarts ... in a one horse open sleigh.
Posted by Sedgwick at December 5, 2003 08:48 AM

'ere - who're you callin' a tart?
Posted by wen at December 5, 2003 10:59 AM

Yeah, but a "mellow, fruitful" tart.

(And with a careful excision of an apostrophe, wen ... well!?)
Posted by Sedgwick at December 5, 2003 11:33 AM

ooh ... er... that w'ere an accident. Honest. Not that clever.
Posted by wen at December 5, 2003 08:09 PM

No comments: