RECENT COMMENTS

Sunday, December 28, 2003

apparently

Nora, being C of E (Christmas and Easter) went to her local C midnight mass and reports that the word apparently is currently big in Anglican sermon terminology, eg Son of God apparently or born in Bethlehem apparently. Perhaps it is the clerical equivalent of the legal allegedly.

possibly not related (via making light)


Comments: apparently

*Be appropriately attired for clergy conferences & conventions, yet, also able to "skip out" to golf and fish without changing clothes...

Apparently you can be a super-minister without a phone-booth these days.
Posted by wen at December 29, 2003 06:31 AM

But is a cleric allowed to fish unofficially?
Posted by boynton at December 29, 2003 10:45 AM

Fishing by clerics is automatically official. The Bible made it so. Love the Old Lutherans - are they serious or not? Are they really advocating the baseball cap as modern dog collar? But then the jewellery is serious... and I always thought the Lutherans were too stolid for self-mockery.

Interesting about the "apparently." Why did I cease being a Christian - I was raised as a dutiful little Anglican? Because I didn't believe it. And I thought that all that reciting of the Creed on cold mornings in an empty church actually suggested you had to believe to belong. Otherwise the whole damn exercise is just silly, as well as tedious.

Admittedly the virgin birth is not a core promise, but the Son of God in the Trinity is. It's part of the crucifixion story. Allegedly, apparently and most probably this stuff is no longer necessary to being an official in the Anglican church. Where's the spunk? They used to set fire to each other over issues like this. Namby pamby crepuscular damp mossy faded beige little house mites of faithless equivocation.

Mind you, if they weren't shuffling around in old nighties arguing over whether the incense made you believe in the Pope, they would be off being mirthless in public places and probably getting into politics..

Right, compose myself. Stabbed into my dorsal root ganglia there. Anything with fur eats me when I am dead, shoot it immediately. Lure me into a phone booth and tape the door shut.
Posted by david at December 29, 2003 01:21 PM

Well - here I am born a Methodist, educated at an Anglican school (where I first heard the ho-lee, ho-lee, ho-lee) and used to go out with a Lutheran, and he was neither stolid nor averse to self-mockery. He was obviously unorthodox.
Isn't this 'doubtfulness' almost offical C of E line now, from the top? (well as top as it gets here on earth). Guess it's the line that faith and doubt are an eternal duality.
I think the Uniting Church embraced doubt and divested certain core promises a long time ago.

Serioulsy, I read Spong a while ago - and while his radical approach is confronting, shaking the foundations (as Paul Tillich might have said) it makes 'sense' to me.

Still find the baseball cap a bit scary, though.
If that's Contemporary Worship I might have to go all 'primitive methodist' in 04.
Posted by boynton at December 29, 2003 01:39 PM

Better is "allegedly".
Posted by Tony.T at December 29, 2003 07:44 PM

Babbling in tongues does it for me. (It doesn't show does it?)
Posted by Sedgwick at December 29, 2003 08:04 PM

Babbling in trousers does it for me. It shows in the post above... ranting, I have to stop ranting... Pith is all. The trouble is, I just get into the groove. It happens while I am avoiding the first nine guests. Alan Bates's characters never did this sort of thing.
Posted by David at December 29, 2003 08:10 PM

philosphy quote of the day: Today's date: 29 Dec 2003

Can one be a saint if God does not exist? That is the only concrete problem I know of today.

Albert Camus
--The Plague

hoooeeeee - prickles up the spine... coINcidence..
Posted by David at December 29, 2003 08:30 PM

Tony: au contraire- better is absoloute. Strictly Ribena, the better bubbly can wait.

Maybe the lark's tongues did do you in afterall, Mr S. I wouldn't ever babble with the rabble myself (unless there was bubbly involved)

both babble and pith have merit, david. A good rant is always welcome. Actually I think Bates' character in U.Pursuits was inclined to babble and rant and yell abuse in the back row of the theatre, getting himself banned from rehearsals etc.
That quote is quite a coincidence. (Or "Serendipity" - as we bloggers prefer). Another redeeming characteristic of blogging I have found. (or chanced upon)
The power (and magic) of associative thought.
Posted by boynton at December 29, 2003 11:34 PM

absoloute? French vodka?
Posted by Tony.T at December 30, 2003 12:26 PM

whoops/whoups - a tad freudian with the extra "0h". (as in Oh really?) Maybe that pledge is a bit of a plodge afterall. Still, will solemnly try to stay on the devondale and ribena
Posted by boynton at December 30, 2003 12:56 PM

No comments: