RECENT COMMENTS

Wednesday, August 13, 2003

mind reading

Nora just sent boynton this mind-reading link.
(More amazing to boynton is that at the time she was surfing in vain for such a diversionary thing to post.)


Comments: mind reading

Has anyone explained how this works to you? i.e. the maths involved? I have to admit, this really confused me the first time...
Posted by joh at August 13, 2003 05:11 PM

I was trying to work it out with my dodgy year 11 maths, Joh, then advanced the theory: must be magic .
Posted by boynton at August 13, 2003 05:17 PM

actually I've just had it explained to me.
the mystical ball has been demystified.
Now it's just graphics.
to misquote Alice: who cares for you! You're nothing but a pack of cards!
Posted by boynton at August 13, 2003 05:33 PM

Well, if it's on-line mind-reading magic you want:

http://www.composmentis.com/dotpoints/vol1_no1/

click on the "A puzzling thing" button.
Posted by Gummo Trotsky at August 13, 2003 05:54 PM

Pretty good Gummo, for a pack of cards ;)

I thought the old Fido one that I linked to once was quite good too - more mysterious numbers

http://www.digicc.com/fido/
Posted by boynton at August 13, 2003 06:23 PM

Quite good.

Now I'll have to track down that book of self-working magic tricks to see how it's done.
Posted by Gummo Trotsky at August 13, 2003 06:42 PM

please explain!!!
Posted by wen at August 14, 2003 01:56 PM

oh - its ok - worked it out myself.
How disappointing.
Posted by wen at August 14, 2003 02:00 PM

exactly what I thought - sometimes you just don't want to see the wires.
Posted by boynton at August 14, 2003 02:05 PM

It was wrong. I was thinking of saxty-tree.
Posted by Tony.T at August 14, 2003 11:29 PM

"exactly what I thought - sometimes you just don't want to see the wires."

Personally I enjoy it more, knowing that the wires are there. As a former amatuer conjuror in my youth, I like seeing people perform the tricks I always aspired to learn with a lot more artistry than I ever managed.
Posted by Gummo Trotsky at August 15, 2003 05:21 PM

Illusion in the Performing Arts is a different er...kettle of fish, perhaps, Gummo?
of course we don't approve of hidden wires there anymore ;)
But I'm still slightly awestruck (is that "a dummy") when it comes to this machine. Simple interactive tricks just get me in.


Posted by boynton at August 15, 2003 05:33 PM

No comments: