RECENT COMMENTS

Tuesday, March 02, 2004

air con

In 1911, Willis Haviland Carrier disclosed his basic Rational Psychrometric Formulae to the American Society of Mechanical Engineers... Carrier said he received his 'flash of genius' while waiting for a train
The Father of Cool Willis Haviland Carrier - The History of Air Conditioning
(via bifurcated rivets)

Meanwhile the mother of all air conditioners is poised to start humming on the roof next door as the temperature climbs. (Oh well, yes, I exaggerate.)
It seems that one day we may be able to talk to our air conditioner. Not sure we'd have a lot to say. Maybe : please don't shout, or Ssssh!, but then talking might just encourage it.


Comments: air con


I think ours understands now. My wife or I will look up at it and say "I'm hot!". It not only understands but solves the problem. I wish I had staff who would do that.
Posted by phlip at March 2, 2004 06:06 PM

When you say 'now', Philip, did it take some time to GTKY? Was there a teething time of miscommunication?
Not sure I could ever really relax...
Posted by boynton at March 3, 2004 11:37 AM


There was a time it was prone to responding to people on the television making comments about the weather. We are over that now. And we are having a lot of trouble with other requests, like "I'm hungry". Mind you, I did mention I was thirsty last night in its hearing, and it squeezed out a little drip of water in response. I know - not exactly a cocktail with an umbrella, but you have to start somewhere.
Posted by phlip at March 4, 2004 11:31 AM

No comments: