RECENT COMMENTS

Wednesday, March 16, 2005

apes

I went to the Great Ape lecture last night

each speaker talked of the eyes - that essential connection.
and the photo that Birute couldn't look at for two years - of an orangutan - gentle creature of the forest, who had been bashed with shovels about the head, one eye removed...
and of our own blind eyes
and each speaker tried to fit an extinction scenario into half an hour
after decades in the field
with one minute to midnight
so that the last few minutes of each set became
a concentrated cry from the heart
we can't let this happen
and what will we tell our grandchildren...

Birute summed it up, that scenario, as losing our own connection to eden.
(whatever the creation story)

and it was said that we spend billions on missions to Mars in search of a martian molecular clue.
A fraction of the money could save the Great Apes, a keystone species, our fellow primates here on our planet.

...drastic action is needed. Time is not on our side.

GRASP
Ape Alliance Action for Apes


Comments: apes

So we'll save the great apes? I seriously doubt it. It's just one more distraction from the really really big issues, of which the ape thing is a symptom but not the cause.

I have a Jewish (ex)friend with whom I refuse to talk these days because he supports the settlements in the West Bank and the actions of the IDF in Palestine. what's this got to do with your article? Easy, it's his view I shouldn't worry about the middle east, I should be "trying to save the whales or something." As I said, I don't talk to that prick anymore. Oh, and he has labelled me an anti-semite. Bwahahahaha...

I'm not taking a swipe at you, boynton, it's just that your story reminded me this other thing. And I'm stuck in this mind-trap which convinces me that I only have so much time/energy to devote to causes and that the Great Ape thing is a _symptom_ of a much bigger _cause_ to which we ought to be devoting ourselves and I'm a firm believer in "treat the cause, not the symptom".

I know I'll get creamed for saying this, but that's fine.
Posted by Diogenes at March 17, 2005 09:44 AM

It's about as big as it gets to me.

But I also don't think it's a black and white thing.
We can (still) save the apes while dealing with other issues, or we can not save them while dealing with other issues.
Posted by boynton at March 17, 2005 10:04 AM

Yeah I know...

It's just I sometimes think I'll go (even more) crazy if I worry about all the issues I could worry about, so I try to prioritise. But I do concede that it's essential for the great apes that someone worries about them.

I told you I'd get creamed... :-)
Posted by Diogenes at March 17, 2005 10:34 AM

The speakers, all of whom have reluctantly left the field to try to take this desperate message to the world, have to answer this sort of question all the time. "Why are you so obsessed with the apes" etc.
(Birute said this was a question asked by every Aust journalist with the exception of - in her words - "Uncle Bert") The last speaker became quite passionate in defence of this alleged obsession. Worked for me.
And each of the three were at pains to place the fate of the respective Ape into the broader political and socio-eco context (of their region, at least)

And such comments are welcome, btw, Gerry. ;)

Posted by boynton at March 17, 2005 10:48 AM

Well, you'll get a lot more of 'em then!

But I do have this wee problem. Could you please make your posts less erudite? I've been reading your blog for some time now and I can never think of an appropriate comment to make. All I can usually utter is "duh duh duh.." and that can appear a bit over-used after a while...

While you were probably still shitting in your nappies, I was out killing 'cong just so you could grow up in a free capitalist paradise collecting ever more bling bling whilst singing "something's missing in my life...". No, please don't thank me... Really... The pleasure was all mine... I'm the last of the true altruists...

Now, about your blog: Dumb it down!!! :-)
Posted by Diogenes at March 17, 2005 11:29 AM

There's a lot of us. Enough that we can specialize, get specific. Champion what the heart says over what the mind churns up. Or what they say together when the mind listens.
Wolves hunted from helicopters by vicious little men who travel 6,000 miles for the opportunity. Frail people cast aside by the desperately rationalizing selfish.
It's a long list, and like any list of chores the priorities can be hard to sort, because it all needs doing. Have to start somewhere. Kinship's as good as any other criteria, so's chance encounter. Do what's in front of you that needs doing. And don't let the pseudo-logic of pragmatism slow you down.
We have to be stronger than meanness.
Posted by Ajax B at March 17, 2005 12:12 PM

Alex, well said!!!

You should start a blog. A mind such as yours should not be kept private.

Enough of the "shoulds"... I'll go now...
Posted by Diogenes at March 17, 2005 12:34 PM

I'm an idiot !!! Sorry, I meant Ajax.
Posted by Diogenes at March 17, 2005 12:36 PM

Diogenes.......Do you have a kind bone in your body ? Do you care about ANY living thing that is enduring pain and suffering ? By the sounds of it , l doubt it !!!!!

Here , Here................Ajax

Get of you high horse Diogenes.
We need people in this world that care !!!!!

Here here Boynton.
Posted by Humanitarian at March 17, 2005 08:43 PM

Ajax - yes, a great comment.
"Champion what the heart says over what the mind churns up. Or what they say together when the mind listens."

I welcome Gerry's input - anon. His thoughtful comments have led to a good conversation, in this post and the next.
Posted by boynton at March 17, 2005 11:02 PM

lf you want to call it good conversation..........
Posted by at March 18, 2005 08:17 AM

...better than 'dialoguing'
Posted by boynton at March 18, 2005 07:52 PM

if you say so MS BOYNTON !
Posted by at March 18, 2005 08:40 PM

Last time I looked this post was actually written to address the fate of the great apes and their imminent extinction. If that's not enough to make you weep - I don't know what is...
Posted by Norabone at March 18, 2005 08:52 PM

That's the first time I've deleted a comment, Dave.
I hope it's the last.

Norabone says it all.
Posted by boynton at March 21, 2005 06:00 PM

I think more clearly than I speak or write,so should the limits of my language be the limit of my world. Dogmatism and the lack of a G S O H, I find , combine to be the curse of opinion.
Norabone. The weeping and wringing of hands in despair over the possible extinction of the dearest and nearest of our relatives, is commendable. Unfortunately there is a need to remove a vast number of obstacles in order to achieve a halt to their declining numbers. Sadly most humans disappear into the mist when asked to contribute assistance in any form, in most cases quoting charity to our own kind is more important, as is, in all other creature species of our planet. There are organisations who collect monetary contributions to this sad cause, maybe that big primate K P could be persuaded to cough up a few quid. I personaly have a continual flow of funds leaving my bank a/c for misc charities and I too, also have problems coping with bill payments like many others. but are we getting our priorities in the correct order, who should we consider to be first in the long queue of the deserving entities crying out for help, should we ignore the millions of starving people in war ravaged Africa. It is a terrible dilemma we are all faced with. Sometimes I see Bunnies near our back garden, Foxes too, It is a pity us humans are hell bent on their extinction, something to do with the NIMBY syndrome. Our family have a family of possums who visit at dusk without fail, to whom we feed carrots and stuff.
Norabone, would you describe to me your own plan to alleviate the pain and suffering of these unfortunate beings.
Posted by Dave at March 22, 2005 10:23 AM

At one minute to midnight I'd pefer not to be distracted by the sound of someone breaking wind!
Posted by Norabone at March 22, 2005 05:45 PM

Yes - alas, I do not have a very GSOH, but then I am a NS/SD and DTE.

Black humour is fine - "Dave" - as long as it has heart. Your joke about monkeys is no doubt highly amusing, but in this context is like dancing on the grave of Primates.

And it wasn't just the sentimental luvvie-duvvies like me who were affected by the facts presented in the lecture and elsewhere, but many rational men and women were clearly moved. A Committee member of GRASP for example was both emotional and cogent in his closing remarks. These are people to admire- compassionate thinkers who are taking action.

The action required is outlined in the links above, FYI.

Posted by boynton at March 22, 2005 07:06 PM

I am always the first to use my hanky at funerals. So it is more than likely I would become affected at such a heart wrenching revelation. The Gib thing was factual,the other would not be so offensive, maybe, if you had not been made aware of this delicate situation. We all have a lot of goodness within our selves, let's not ruin everything by being vindictive. Enjoy your abstinence nice lady. Ok, I give in, what is D T E, is that also something to do with abstinence. With all my heart rending apoligies,Dave G S O H, N/S, ocas S/D, too old, C F Anymore, L T K & C.
Posted by Dave at March 22, 2005 08:02 PM

I knew all about the monkeys wanking. Common to all apes I believe.

I'm not vindictive, (whatever the acronym is for that) - any genuine comment will be treated with respect. Others may be deleted. I do like to keep things on topic in general and at this post in particular.
Posted by boynton at March 22, 2005 08:11 PM

Please tell me what happened, did I offend ? my last comment deleted ? anyhow no offence meant to you. However this my new site feel free to check me out I promise I shall not delete you.
vest@swiftdsl.com.au www.dailygaggle.blogspot.com
Posted by Vest at March 23, 2005 04:17 PM

I have never seen you write a rude word before Boynton, that W word was very naughty, you didn't tell me what D T E meant, its quite a puzzler.
Posted by Dave at March 23, 2005 04:48 PM

No comments: