RECENT COMMENTS

Monday, August 02, 2004

ciphers

Famous Unsolved Codes and Ciphers (via Making Light)

I was reading up on Elgar's Dorabella Cipher - in a letter the composer wrote to Dora Penny.

- and found this unflattering view of the man and his work.

The objections to Elgar's music by the professionals were for musical reasons. It is badly written. "It is like receiving a long awaited and important letter and not being able to read any of the handwriting," said Vaughan Williams.


Comments: ciphers

A completely unrelated comment, Boynton, but I found myself thinking yesterday "Ah, August. This is Boynton's least favourite month". But I'm not sure if I've entirely made this up. Perhaps you love August.
Posted by mcb at August 2, 2004 03:25 PM

spooky - mcb
I think telapthy?
I was thinking of my 'aout'(ooh) post of last year yesterday - looked it up - and read your own comment earlier today...
http://boynton.ubersportingpundit.com/archives/002215.html
I see it's the great mcb family birthday month - so no offence against August.
It's just the memory of some August days that were rather horrible weather on foot and on public transport.
Yesterday though - what a classic lovely August day with hint of spring and wattles that tide us over.
Posted by boynton at August 2, 2004 03:33 PM

Yes, it's been great return to Melbourne weather. Blue skies, sunshine, rain overnight rather than while I'm walking. A wonderful welcome back.
And as I probably said last year, I normally appreciate the longer days, but as I've just come from days that started at 5 and ended at 10, the days seem very short all of a sudden.
Posted by mcb at August 2, 2004 04:29 PM

No comments: