RECENT COMMENTS

Wednesday, August 04, 2004

bubbly day

There comes a time in every woman's life when the only thing that helps is a glass of champagne." Bette Davis

I heard Red on the radio announce that today marks the anniversary of the invention of champagne.
I'd better make sure I have a glass or two of Aust sparkling tonight to celebrate...

"I drink it when I'm happy and when I'm sad. Sometimes, I drink it when I'm alone. When I have company I consider it obligatory. I trifle with it if I'm not hungry and drink it if I am; Otherwise I never touch it - unless I'm thirsty."
- Madame Bollinger, one of the "grande dames" of French champagne (1884-1977)

More quotes and fizzy trivia at the Story of Champagne

Bubbly words


Comments: bubbly day

I'm one of a small, select group on whom the charms of champagne are entirely lost. To paraphrase Mark Twain who said of the cauliflower that it was merely a cabbage with a college education, with champagne I taste only cider with pretensions. But I love the bubbly words - there's a poem amongst them.
Posted by Dick at August 6, 2004 04:13 PM

I agree about the Poetry-in-waiting in those words:
"when the neck of the bottle is placed in freezing brine"...

And one of my local favourites is a blend that might reign in the pretensions?

http://www.kellybrookwinery.com.au/products/champagnecider.htm
Posted by boynton at August 6, 2004 05:01 PM

The link that you give attributes Dom Perigon with the invention of champagne.
This site gives the English the credit
http://www.vino.com/explore/article.asp?AID=139&CID=9&Cat=1

"Dom Perignon is often credited for inventing Champagne, but it is generally believed that he spent most of his time trying to remove the bubbles that appeared naturally in wine, as these were considered a fault."
Posted by andy farnsworth at August 6, 2004 07:05 PM

Hmm...curiouser, Andy.
"Sparkling champagne is commonly thought to have originated in France, but this is not quite the case"
Maybe the English can claim the Bubbles - in the case.
In any case.
Posted by boynton at August 7, 2004 01:41 PM

No comments: