RECENT COMMENTS

Tuesday, June 10, 2003

tea and trivia

Found myself profoundly humiliated at trivia when I failed to recognize a jangly riff from We can work it out by some jangly mersey beat group from the sixties - over-ruling a teammate in the process. All cred is dead.
Arf, arf, he goes a merry sight (from John Lennon's In his own Write via Incoming Signals)

Flags of the world often feature in these quizzes, and this chart with mini flags would be a handy way to cram, if that would be my sad penance, cramming for trivia (via fishbucket)

I checked back into that great temple of trivia and lists blog- Vitamin Q - and found a post that mixed the trivia in with the nostalgia. An irresistible brew. A list of 40 Bygones Things you don’t often see any more

It's sad to run down the casualty list and realise I might have to let cakestands be bygones. But Tea cosies? Makes me want to rush out and secure an artefact from the nearest op shop/folk museum. Or knit a vintage poodle number. From this blog I also see designer Tea cosies might signal a revival - or not?
Elsewhere, this example - Tea Cosy with Forest theme is quite impressive.

They may not be seen as often, but tea cosies are still around and apparently dangerous.
Thirty-seven people were injured so seriously by the pot warmers in 1999 that they were admitted to hospital. Most of the injuries were caused by scalding, usually after an attempt to pick up a teapot by its cover rather than the handle, while others followed trips on cosies lying on slippery kitchen tiles or lino

This Scotsman article Beware of the Tea Cosy lists many such domestic hazards collated by the Home Accident Surveillance System.

the majority of accidents appear to be caused by people’s actions rather than faulty products. ..
"Underpants, for instance, cause a lot of accidents



Comments: tea and trivia

Now Now Miss B,

Are you REALLY going to beat yourself up over that for years to come??

In your defence it was only 1 channel (the non-vocal one) that we heard, and those little jangly Mersey beat groups from the 60s had an annoying habit of putting vox in 1 channel and drums etc in the other...

Revel instead in your triumphs... remember Anatevka and be happy!


:-)
Posted by creativejim at June 10, 2004 04:48 PM

Ah - thank you kindly, Jim.
I think I just lost one year off the beating. ;)

I used to know those mono recordings backwards - or so I thought.
My memory seems to be going the way of 'Anatevka'
"A little bit of this, a little bit of that.
A pot, a pan, a broom, a hat."
but never quite in the right order or able to be re-assembled in trivia quick time.


Posted by boynton at June 10, 2004 05:11 PM

"Other menaces around the home included hair brushes (1394 incidents), vegetables (14,149) piles of ironing (5248) and cotton wool buds (8569). False teeth caused 933 accidents, clothes baskets 2768, toilet roll holders 287, brillo pads 226, talcum powder 123, and deodorants 431..."

I love it. There's something sinister about the "Home Accident Surveillance System", as if inspectors are going to beat on the door demanding to see my furry hottie cover.

"Anatevka" I shall have to google. I am impressed.
Posted by David Tiley at June 11, 2004 03:25 AM

I want to know more about the volatile underpants. As a regular wearer of underpants I need to know what I'm up against.
Posted by Dick Jones at June 11, 2004 08:17 AM

The article is full of gems:
"It seems odd there are so many more accidents involving trousers than chainsaws"
(and let's just hope that the HASS inspectors don't demand to inspect the hazardous underpants)

The volatile underpants scenario is explained step-by-step within article, but, you know, loses so much of its mystery in the process.

what would the Scotsman know about underpants anyway ;)
Posted by boynton at June 11, 2004 12:56 PM

I have long known that it is foolish to put beans in one's ears, more foolhardy I have learned to my cost, is putting chainsaws in one's underpants.

Very theatrical, attracts much applause from an appreciative audience. Sadly it is pyrrhic applause, provoking fits of uncontrolled swearing and cursing (aka The Accidental Tourettes).

BTW. Some Scots are know to disport windswept and interesting underpants.
Posted by Sedgwick at June 13, 2004 09:17 AM

No comments: