RECENT COMMENTS

Tuesday, June 10, 2003

Alamein bound

one of the pleasures of staying in boroondara is reading the Progress Press First published in 1946 as the Chadstone Progress . Today's sub heading is poetic and intriguing:
A push to get passengers to embrace the Alamein line
As evocative as this is, it is not up there with the headlines spotted recently by bluejoh.

Where is Boroondara? I've never heard of it. I always get a pang of anxiety when I discover a Melbourne suburb I've never heard of- evidence that I am not keeping up. Tell me it's a new suburb. Or better still, tell me it's not a suburb at all, but the name of a street or a house...
Posted by: mcb at June 11, 2003 04:58 PM

According to the info, the Progress Press covers the postcodes: 3101, 3102, 3103, 3104, 3122, 3123, 3124, 3125, 3126, 3127, 3146, 3147.

I know mcb, I've been using this term loosely and obliquely. Boroondara is the name given to the new super-council (from the days of those super-council amalgamations) of let's just saw those so called blue ribbon suburbs over the river (from Richmond/struggletown) It's actually an original name that was revived. I used to merely grocery shop in boroondara, and sneer away at the wall to wall 4WD's and the labradors (dog of choice) - but now here I am residing in a small back pocket with my old labrador.
But I've always really wanted to live in Alamein actually.
Posted by: boynton at June 11, 2003 05:12 PM

No comments: