RECENT COMMENTS

Monday, June 07, 2004

lili

In one of the D Day docos, a nurse recounted hearing the wounded soldiers from both sides singing Lili Marleen...

The Official Lili Marleen Page

You quickly get to know the midis of lili that grace the war themed web sites, a small pool of faux accordion flourishes and servicable tinny organ. I wanted something more like I heard it played on household piano of yore.
Pianissimo, slow and sentimental, with longing.

The most basic piano midi I found was here, but it is fairly brisk.
And while not piano, this site has quite a nice version.


Comments: lili

Hate to harsh yer mellow darlin' but moves are afoot to make a film about the eternal Marlene, with...Gweneth Paltrow as the lead.

Yes, that distant humming sound you hear is Josef Von Sternberg revolving at around 1800rpm in his grave.
Posted by Nabakov at June 8, 2004 12:04 AM

Dietrich has it down pat. When I hear her version it automatically transmutes aurally into my parents' 78 rpm copy, complete with beguiling needle hiss.
Posted by Dick Jones at June 8, 2004 07:46 AM

gwyneth marlene after plath?

"Ich, ich, ich, ich,
I could hardly speak..."

...and tell them I sighed ...

- and Dick, yes, the sound of hisstory

(although at this site, you can listen to a before and after effect with hisses removed...)
http://www.crystream.com.au/


Posted by boynton at June 8, 2004 04:20 PM

It would be like Kylie Minogue playing Vera Lynn.

I wish I hadn't thought that.
Posted by David Tiley at June 11, 2004 03:19 AM

Thanks for your comment. I'm the guy playing "Lili Marleen" on the accordion, recorded back about 10 years ago. I appreciate that somebody has actually listened to it.

RCA
Posted by Richard Aguilar at August 11, 2004 06:38 AM

I just listened to it again, Richard, and should upgrade that comment from 'quite nice' to 'very nice'. It's a beautiful recording and exactly what I had been looking for that day - subtle and slow with a temperate dash of sentiment.
Posted by boynton at August 11, 2004 01:00 PM

No comments: