RECENT COMMENTS

Wednesday, June 16, 2004

big bloomsday

Yes it's the big bloomsday, and once again I have failed to finish reading Ulysses in time for 16/6 since beginning it at University once upon a time years ago (feels like 100 )

In the tradition of Pepys, it is now online, and a page a day on the web might just be the way to go. (via wood s lot)
I tried to read Ulysses a couple times in the past few years, but I couldn't ever find the momentum I needed to get through. I read Dubliners and A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man hoping to build up some momentum I could carry over. It didn't work. I needed help. I realized one day that almost no one is better at plodding along mindlessly than a computer. Mindless plodding is nearly as good as momentum.about


Although my earlier idea of going for a 23 hour drive with the Naxos Joyce CDs is still attractive, just need a chauffeur with a CD player and time to kill to materialise. Checking into the Naxos site, I notice there are some sample mp3s - so a virtual bloomsday can be enjoyed by the carless, careless and legless.

There are many images to be enjoyed at Rejoyce, and also a chapter by chapter summary

And - another old link - there's always Ulysses for Dummies


Comments: big bloomsday

There's also the documentary on SBS tonight at 10pm...
Posted by James Russell at June 16, 2004 02:49 PM

Thanks, James.
Will have to tape it.
Posted by boynton at June 16, 2004 03:02 PM

No comments: