RECENT COMMENTS

Sunday, September 25, 2005

unbelievable

"They wore the red and white and they have done it proud. It's 'never say die'."
Bob Skilton

My father's voice was choked with emotion when I rang..."Unbelievable"
(More fact than cliche after a lifetime of barracking for the red and the white)



Comments: unbelievable

I knew there'd be some excitement in these parts. Good luck to the winners.

Me? I went to lunch instead.
Posted by cs at September 25, 2005 04:42 PM

I watched it quietly (HA) at home - then went out to join the celebrations later, cs.
So you're not more inclined to follow the Swans now?
Posted by boynton at September 25, 2005 04:55 PM

Well I've never seen a swan in Sydney. T'was an ok game though.
Posted by peacay at September 25, 2005 09:51 PM

Herals Sun described it as:
"B-grade show an A-grade thriller"
http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,16711323%255E11088,00.html

I was too anxious to concentrate. Definitely had an ok finish.
Posted by boynton at September 25, 2005 11:49 PM

Leo Barry is a legend, I was there, he took the mark right in front of us. What a nerve wracking 2 seconds that was. Mad Monday tomorrow. I will sober up sometime later this week.
Posted by Guruann at September 25, 2005 11:58 PM

Hey Guruann!!!!!! How good is that.
Mad Monday should last a month I reckon - relative to time between drinks.
I'm with Bob: "Those last two minutes where the longest bloody two minutes of my life," the nine-time best and fairest said...
Apparently members of my family had to walk in and out of their respective lounge-rooms it was so tense.
I've seen the Barry mark numerous times since - what a mark!
Great write up in Age
http://www.theage.com.au/realfooty/news/afl/the-mark-that-saved-the-flag/2005/09/25/1127586746802.html
Posted by boynton at September 26, 2005 12:11 AM

I have seen many swans in Sydney. I used to walk my dog in centennial park regularly. She met her match in swans. So graceful; so fearsome, able at a blink to turn those curling knecks into darting arrows. Yes, it was a stand-off. I gotta lotta respect for swans.
Posted by cs at September 26, 2005 12:58 AM

The local swans have always had my respect.
Meanwhile the geese at the Boathouse can be fearsome (oarsome)...Funny that no football team adopts that moniker.

And David Williamson may have answered that earlier question?
"Will the premiership mean that AFL will become the great new game in Sydney? No, it won't. Allegiances to a sports code, passed from parent to child, run deep. But it will raise the level of respect and interest for the code to new levels."
http://www.theage.com.au/realfooty/news/afl/how-long-is-eternity/2005/09/25/1127586746796.html
Posted by boynton at September 26, 2005 01:06 PM

*yawn* - I dug around the foundations for a new garden shed, had several coffees, read weekend newspapers, while listening to the always wonderful Denise with TWANG on 3RRR.

I found out that one of the teams had won on a new s cast later that night that interrupted Sat Night Country with John Nutting.

All in all a day well spent.
Posted by Francis Xavier Holden at September 26, 2005 03:01 PM

An afternoon of blood and bone over the Bloods?
That's very unVictorian of you, FX.

Actually checking my archives I notice that last year, (for the first time ever) I turned off the TV at 3/4 time and went for a walk, all bah humbug.
Luckily I refound the passion this year, ay.

How's that banjo interlude of the Club Song btw?
I went to sleep sometime Sunday morning with "Cheer Cheer" running through my head for the 109th time...
Posted by boynton at September 26, 2005 03:06 PM

"I have seen many swans in Sydney...centennial park"

Aaaaah...Vaucluse ducks.
Posted by peacay at September 26, 2005 05:58 PM

Yeah but last year Port Adelaide won, so turning the TV off is a natural reaction.
Posted by Scott Wickstein at September 26, 2005 09:43 PM

I was standing at a bar looking at the ocean. THE Game was on the telly. So who's winning? I asked my friend. "Pelicans" says he, gazing out the window. Seemed fair.
Posted by Link at September 26, 2005 10:10 PM

Hmmm is that a Sydney thing, peacay?
I wonder if Vaucluse Ducks hang out with Toorak Quacks?

Yes I think it was possibly the Port thing, Scott. Maybe if they were called the Teals?

Ha. Love that, Link.
Expert commentary.
(Wonder how the Seagulls went this year?)


Posted by boynton at September 26, 2005 11:24 PM

I daresay Vducks & Tquacks would get on. They both swan about town.

But it was just a snipe at the eastern suburbs - centennial park - there's no local duck-swan meme that I know about. Well, until now..
Posted by peacay at September 27, 2005 02:11 PM

Two cities, One Meme...
Posted by boynton at September 28, 2005 10:23 AM

A Tale of Two Memes
Meme me in St Louis
I left my meme in San Francisco
Meme me up Scotty
I have a meme
The dream meme

Ok, my work here is done..


Posted by peacay at September 28, 2005 06:16 PM

No comments: