RECENT COMMENTS

Wednesday, September 07, 2005

link blogs

Three very fine blogs retired from link-blogging recently: exclamation mark, life in the present and lonita - as discussed at Bibi's and Eye of the goof: The End of the 'Blog As We Know It?

Perhaps there is a season for it?
I was interested to read the comment from the nonist.
i know i'm comparatively new to this game (compared to you three old salts) but my recipe is as much original content as possible using links to fill the gaps. even then i try to offer as much commentary on a link as i can. "make it my own" as it were. works for me fairly well. also i was careful to keep things as open ended as i could so even massive change could happen comfortably


Such recipes for avoiding burn-out (for bloggers and readers alike) are good.
In link-logging mode, I try to cut the numbers back, and to describe and highlight the material. Some links are worth a dozen posts.
In link-blogging mode or making links your own it's waiting until something from the data-stream strikes a narrative chord.

Of course, some links speak for themselves. So do some days.
Some days I only want the links straight.
Some days I only want to read one sentence.
Some days I only want to read the comments.
On the best days, the links end up talking to each other.

I've always been a sub-sifter- half link-blog, half dog-blog, with weather - so I've managed to avoid the burn-out of the primary sifter thus far.
(But this is always provisional - tomorrow is another day.)
 

In other blogging news: bluejoh is back at Created Metaphors
Writer Wendy James has gone solo at My Career goes Blog
Scott is blogging at Unoriginal Prankster
and Kent is back again at Supermaxwell.


Comments: link blogs

Talking about the weather - I always get a lift when the days are * good drying days*
Posted by Francis Xavier Holden at September 7, 2005 10:12 PM

Yes - as long as the drying wind is not much stronger than today. Though it switched to Mild later in the afternoon from a wilder setting.
Posted by boynton at September 7, 2005 11:53 PM

Thanks for the link, Miss B. Though I'm afraid my place is still a little unsitely...
Posted by wen at September 8, 2005 09:35 AM

Ah, "the burn-out of the primary sifter"...That'll be it then. Sounds vaguely existential. One imagines The Primary Sifter, in long-shot, under a burning noon-day sun... At any rate, in what they used to call "hiatus" I may be (and partly due to wanting to do something other than simply point, and partly, alas, for more complicated, personal reasons), but I've kept up my TypePad Pro account, so I shall return, in some sitely fashion, some time soon...
Posted by dave at September 9, 2005 06:39 AM

Great to see you blogging again, wen.
Are you having a housewarming?

Slightly better than a Pure Finder, Dave.
http://boyntonesque.blogspot.com/2003/11/wild-goose.html
but existential nonetheless. (Not to mention the Loneliness (stats-wise) of the long distance sub-sifter)
I recently read another well-regarded link blogger lamenting the state of pointing, or 're-blogging'. That is the way the exi crisis seems to go.("What's the point?")
But there's a lot to be said for good simple pointing when you see it elsewhere. The big dilemma. And as good as deli-ci-ous is, I still prefer a blog.
Glad to hear that your wonderful blog is back soon from hiatus.
Posted by boynton at September 9, 2005 12:31 PM

No comments: