RECENT COMMENTS

Friday, November 19, 2004

silhouettes

met some bloggers in brunswick. still recovering. *


Names Unknown (from drawings made by a Pilot)

from Silhouettes of Aeroplanes 1917 (via life in the present)


* from the no name cleanskin bubbly, I mean.


Comments: silhouettes

"No Name cleanskin bubbly"...

That sounds like a description of you, Boynton.
Posted by Nora at November 19, 2004 03:25 PM

Not so much of the 'bubbly', ok...
Posted by boynton at November 19, 2004 03:32 PM

'Twas the Turkish coffee that did for me. Still too wired to sleep.
Posted by Gummo Trotsky at November 19, 2004 07:01 PM

Nabakov owes you a drink.
Posted by mallrat at November 19, 2004 08:12 PM

Stayed away from the coffee, Gummo.
Cold caffeine today. is it.

Does he, mallrat?
That's a relief. I thought I owed him a drink.
Posted by boynton at November 19, 2004 11:09 PM

Nabs is not counting. As long as he can still move, he will talk - but I am not so sure about the adding up.

Meeting youse all was a heap of fun. Boynton turned out to have exactly the grace I imagined.

I truly didn't think that F.X. Holden would roll up disguised as an investment banker for a monastery with a particularly good line in ancient bottled decoctions.

Gummo looks like a cross between Bakunin and an Ent :) - I have aimed for that image in my time but failed due to my fine anaemic hair and the tendency for my skin to go veinous rather than barklike.
Posted by David Tiley at November 20, 2004 11:01 PM

mallrat has described it as akin to a "weird blind date" and it is that kind of territory - a reversal of familiarity. Lost long relatives.
A swap meet of the real and imagined...
However it was all suprisingly enjoyable, and consolidates the sense of community.
Hope we can do it again sometime.
Glad Nabakov lost count, I'm sure it's me who (ungraciously) piked on my round. I think I owe him a Robinson's Barley water.
Posted by boynton at November 20, 2004 11:32 PM

"Hope we can do it again sometime."

A Manetic pique nique
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/wombat3041/Comments/manet05.jpg

or perhaps something more Picassoesque?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/wombat3041/Comments/picasso_dejeuner.jpg
Posted by Sedgwick at November 21, 2004 09:17 PM

A picnic would be lovely.
Maybe with a naked man, eh.

(I'm sure I've seen a different take on that with the male herbal picnickers in the raw)

in the meantime
http://nla.gov.au/nla.pic-an12799997
Posted by boynton at November 21, 2004 11:26 PM

"in the meantime"

What is notable about the photo is that it chronicles the advent of the revolutionary AWA Crystal Set Walkman. Dorothy here captured in gelatin, finger snapping along to "A Tisket A Tasket".

The day after the picnic Cicely decided to purchase her first pair of Fletcher Jones ladies' slacks.

The swashbuckling Randall (left) was soon to leave Australia seeking fame and fortune in Hollywood. Sadly he was overlooked for the lead role in "The Adventures Of Robin Hood" in favour of Errol Flynn. Returning to Australia in the same year, the undaunted Randall resurrected his aborted film career, spending the next 20 years as "The Man outside Hoyts".

Reginald (center) fared much better in Hollywood, starring in many films under the stage name, Frankie Avalon.

Percy (right) was to die a lonely and tragic figure soon after his best-selling autobiography, "The First Principal at The Heidelberg School - a Fortunate Life is Such" was exposed as fraudulent.
Posted by Sedgwick at November 22, 2004 08:30 AM

Chuckling.Out.Loud.Rolling.On.Travel.Rug.

Poor Percy. Perhaps he was writing "A Fortunate Sock" and suffered writer's block?
A Fraudulent Sock?
In another era he may have been a weekend colour supplement.


Posted by boynton at November 22, 2004 12:20 PM

Doesn't nabakov owe everyone a drink?

INcluding the poor dopey sods at the pokey place he shouted at!!

I owe you all the deserts I ate...
Posted by Martin Pike at November 22, 2004 07:06 PM

Whose shout was it at the pokies?
It was short and sweet there anyway...

& FX owes the machines a coffee I think.


Posted by boynton at November 23, 2004 12:25 PM

Re the aircraft silhouettes - the one on the left is a Pfalz scout and on the right, a member of the Albatri family, albeit with badly rendered tailplanes (which we'll all suffer from sooner or later). Ask me a hard one why don't you.

Jez, it feels funny commenting now I know who you are and want what yoiu look like - and vice versa.

Bit like seeing yer parents undressed for the first time.

Not that that's anything wrong with that. I mean I'm not thinking of you undressed like my parents - no, no, I mean I'm not thinking of undressed people - No, I mean I'm not talking on blogs about undressed people who are not you - No, no I mean I mean not talking about undressing my parents - No! I mean - oh fuck it, lets get naked and worship the sun.

Failing that, Dunlop volleys, Earl Grey (with a slug of gin), mustard and cress sandwiches, baklava and a cold VB, the hiss of freshly popped tennis ball cans, chalked baselines and disputed line calls anyone?
Posted by Nabakov at November 25, 2004 07:41 PM

"want what yoiu "

that should read "what you ".

Not a fraudian slip.
Posted by Nababov at November 25, 2004 09:01 PM

Indeed Nabs, naked parents should neither seen nor heard. I'm still recovering from seeing the naked 18 stone, 6' 6", bearded scottish dwarf aka Mallrat.

Picnic in the park (a neddy of that name raced into his own equine immortality) seems to be gaining momentum.

Anyone for a reenactment of the 'Blow Up' tennis scene. (Other 'Blow Up' scenes optional, but suspect wee Jock McMallrat is no Veruschka.)

Having watched "Last Orders" last night, have to say that David Hemmings seemed to have aged ... well ... agedly - to point of shuffling off. With eyebrows that Ming could have only dreamt of.
Posted by Sedgwick at November 25, 2004 11:23 PM

For some reason I often think aeroplanes when I think blogosphere. Hope it's not the mere presence of 'sphere'.

Where do we lob for Tennis? The Earl Grey and Gin sounds like a pretty good combo, (maybe with a dunlop chaser or a whitener snifter)

Hope Sedge keeps that in mind with the hamper happening. Glad to hear it may have legs.

Is this the territory?
http://libapp.sl.nsw.gov.au/cgi-bin/spydus/ENQ/PM/FULL1?391459,I

(I saw "Last Orders" not long ago - and thought the same thing.)


Posted by boynton at November 26, 2004 12:36 AM

Well fuck me gently with a chainsaw.

Was just watching "Blow Up" on DVD the other night. David Hemmings is even prettier than I remembered, Jane Birkin made zero impression and the overall plot is even more pointless than I remembered - but that park, with the wind rustling the trees, is still haunting.

Plus didn't Jimmy Page have a great smile as Jeff Beck lost it at the Ricky-Ticky club.

And I want that aeroplane propellor so bad. I reckon it came off a DH9.
Posted by Nabakov at November 26, 2004 01:28 AM

Mmmm, aren't those last two on the right, the long lost adopted out Kennedy children.

Pity Hemmings shuffled the short straw, had him pegged for the lead role in a Kingsley Amis bio-pic. He had developed a fine unlean, hungry, choleric and curmudgeonly look.

Picnic, tennis, Earl Grey and gin, mustard and cress sandwiches. A game of charades cannot be far away.

... and umbrellas.
Posted by Sedgwick at November 26, 2004 11:44 AM

Don't want to rain on your charade, Sedge, but I think I may prefer a quick round of 20 questions, (Would I be wrong in saying that I am a vegetable?) sardines or 'hide the thimble'.
Posted by boynton at November 26, 2004 11:40 PM

... or one of my childhood favorite games, "Consequences".

Strips of paper, a Staedtler HB and rudimentary origami skills.
Posted by Sedgwick at November 27, 2004 10:47 AM

I'm an old hand at "Consequences"

unplugged version of 'new digital' generators.

good for picknicking bloggers who migt be feeling nervous about being offline for 2 hours. ;)
Posted by boynton at November 27, 2004 11:10 AM

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was searching blogs,and I found yours.Please,
accept my congratulations for your excellent work!
If you have a moment, please visit my unique baby toys site.
Have a good day!