RECENT COMMENTS

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

christmases past

Among many audio treats available at Music You (Possibly) Won't Hear Anyplace Else is a blast from the past: Does Santa Claus Sleep with His Whiskers (Over or Under the Sheets) Henry Hall and the BBC Dance Orchestra.
I have blogged about this once before when I found a sample of another version*, but it was tres nostalgic to hear the full version.


His version of The Teddy Bears Picnic* with Hall on vocal, has become a perennial favourite with children sterling times


Another novelty from Hall: The Broken Record - novelty fox trot
...the title of this catchy tune is the nightmare of every 78-record collector! I love the the way in which the tune incorporates the sound of a cracked record, by imitating the repeat which occurred when the needle skipped.

at the excellent Jan's 78 warehouse


Comments: christmases past

If you go out on the field today,
you better go in disguise
If you go out on the field today,
you're in for a big surprise

For every wolf that aver there was,
will gather round, for certain because,
today's the day the Wickham Wolves have a victory

Victory time for Wickham Wolves
The mighty Wickham Wolves are having a f**cking good win today
See us, watch us kick our goals ...

Ahem. Etc.
Posted by Tony.T at November 29, 2005 06:29 PM

Sounds like it was a rare thing - a once-a-year day- for the wolves to win?
Wonder if Brisbane ever considered this a club song?
Posted by boynton at November 29, 2005 06:37 PM

They are unworthy.
Posted by Tony.T at November 29, 2005 07:11 PM

Unbearable?
Posted by boynton at November 30, 2005 09:03 AM

Unbearable!
a similar novelty foxtrot: Where did Robinson Crusoe go with Friday on Saturday Night?
Susoz is searching for a replacement for her worn out copy of Mitch Millers Christmas Favourites!
Posted by Brownie at November 30, 2005 10:53 AM

"They went hunting for rabbits when the weather grew colder...?"
(oh it seems I can't link here to the lyrics - but see the first hit if you Google the title. A great site with novelty songs lyrics)

You can hear the mp3 here:
http://www.archive.org/audio/audio-details-db.php?collection=78rpm&collectionid=AlJolson&from=mostViewed

(btw - unbearable was re Brisbane FC. I'm rather fond of the songs of yesterday)
Posted by boynton at November 30, 2005 11:38 AM

And does his chewing gum lose its flavour on the bed post overnight?
Posted by Gummo Trotsky at November 30, 2005 06:04 PM

I've Got The Yes We Have No Bananas Blues...
Posted by boynton at December 1, 2005 11:19 AM

Yes, we got no bananas
But man I got the blues.
I say yes, we got no bananas.
But man, I got the blues.

Banana man come on Monday,
Kept drivin' right on by,
He had my baby with him,
Now all I do is cry.

Yes, we got no bananas
But man I got the blues.
I say yes, we got no bananas.
But man, I got the blues.
Posted by Epileptic Guava Trotsky at December 1, 2005 06:43 PM

"Yesterday somebody kept on asking me,
"Say, what's a wegistable what begins with "P"?
I gave it up and I asked him to tell--
When he said, "Pananas!" I just had to yell!
P! A! N! A! N! A!
Yes! No, no! Take 'um away!
I've got the "Yes, We Have No Bananas" Blues
Today..."

u cn hear it here, if u dare...
http://www.raeproductions.com/music/index7.html

(always good to revisit that great site.
And while I was there I caught the intriguing:
"Who Paid the Rent for Mrs. Rip Van Winkle?")
Posted by no boyntons at December 2, 2005 01:36 PM

Alas, my PC is mute. So even if I dared, 't would be in vain. A sad case of nothing to gain so nothing ventured.
Posted by Gummo Trotsky at December 2, 2005 02:55 PM

http://tinyurl.com/culk2
Once you see the lyrics, it's E-Z to sing a long in your head if you think of a standard Eddie Jolson mutation

got around the ge*cities ban by tinyurl...
Posted by boynton at December 2, 2005 03:07 PM

Don't miss Epileptic Guava's soon to be long awaited "Missed the Link and got Totally Whooshed Blues"
Posted by Gummo Trotsky at December 3, 2005 06:46 PM

Thought it was: missed the link and varied the theme...
E.Guava's Blues rock imho.
Posted by boynton at December 4, 2005 03:24 PM

No comments: