RECENT COMMENTS

Monday, June 06, 2005

yah yah

Well the weekend was cold, and I hired a handful of old DVDs like Little Women 1933.
 

at 14:37:18 pm on Saturday the PROFESSOR said:




PROFESSOR
Oh, oh, good evening, my little friend. Good evening.

at 14:37:20 pm JO said:


JO
Please don't stop. It was beautiful. I've heard you play it often
and wanted to ask you what it was. I'd so like to send it to my
little sister.

PROFESSOR
"Nur wer die Sehnsucht kennt." The words are by Goethe. Do you
speak German? Oh, well, then I better give it to you in English.
Let me see now. Ah, "Nur wer die Sehnsucht kennt" Yah, yah, yah.
"Only who knows what longing is can know what I suffer."
""weiŸA_Awas ich leide"_@ "Alone and parted far from joy and
gladness. My senses fail. Burning fire devours me".


JO
My senses fail. A burning fire devours me. I know how he felt.




classic movie scripts  images  audio

 

at 14:45 ish pm BOYNTON   said

Hmmm... wonder if that is on the wwweb...

 
Found Nur wer die Sehnsucht kennt ok, but what "weiŸA_Awas ich leide"_@" means is anyone's guess.



Comments: yah yah

You have company:
"The parallel texts show us how hard he has had to work; but they also offer us the beauty of the originals. I am not so sure that the heartbreaking concision of lines such as 'Meine Ruh ist hin / Mein Herz ist schwer' or 'Nur wer die Sehnsucht kennt, / Weiss, was ich leide!' is completely inaudible to the monoglot Anglophone"
http://books.guardian.co.uk/reviews/classics/0,6121,1483449,00.html
On the other hand maybe you're being amused by the code itself. Here's a Schubert link, with the phrase and a wav. into the bargain:
http://home.swipnet.se/~w-18046/ssamp.html
Posted by Juke Moran at June 7, 2005 10:52 AM

well speaking as a monoglot anglophone...
must confess it was the code that amused me.
That was lifted from the txt file of Classic scripts and something was lost in the html? translation I would say.
But that's a great Guardian article and may try to find that book.
"...he was one of the last men, it was said, to know everything — ...

"Goethe could use the simplest of his language's building-blocks to open up vistas of eternity; but it's not easy to find rhymes for our small words for the big things (life, love, death)"

And my post was very obscure and I left out the crucial lines that follow:

JO
My senses fail. A burning fire devours me. I know how he felt.

PROFESSOR
Tchaikovsky did also. That's why he wrote this beautiful heart-
breaking music.

JO
Oh, if only I could write something like that. Something splendid
that would set other hearts on fire.

PROFESSOR
That is genius. Ah, you wish to write, my little friend?

JO
Yes, that's my longing. I've sold two stories already since I've
been here.

PROFESSOR
Oh, that's very good. I like to read them. May I?

JO
Oh, would you? I'd so like to know your opinion.

PROFESSOR
Oh, I would be very happy. You have that ardent spirit, right? I
like that.

JO
Oh, what shall I ask for at the music shop?

PROFESSOR
"Nur wer die Sehnsucht kennt".

JO
"Nur wer die_c"

PROFESSOR
"Sehnsucht"

JO
"Sehnsucht"

....

So it is the Tchaik that is featured in the film.
I had found an mp3 - but misplaced it.
http://www.classiccat.net/tchaikovsky_p/6.htm
and will put it in the post...

However - this is becoming quite fascinating.
I'm yet to play the Schubert as the PC is seizing up somewhere, but will reboot and listen anon.
Many thanks.
Posted by boynton at June 7, 2005 12:23 PM

I've always been glad that Jo married Bhaer and not Laurie.
Posted by laura at June 7, 2005 01:31 PM

Yes, I think I came around to that view myself...
& Gabriel Byrne makes a very dashing Bhaer.

btw - do you look at LW at all? Like P&P, the range of adaptations must provide rich fodder...


Posted by boynton at June 7, 2005 01:56 PM

Well, no I don't. I'm not really sure why. It just didn't obviously fit into any of the topics my argument is arranged around. One to be privately enjoyed, not nagged to death, heh heh
Posted by laura at June 7, 2005 09:36 PM

No comments: