RECENT COMMENTS

Sunday, June 05, 2005

78rpm

I've been having a jolly old lonesome winter sunday listening to some 78's at

Jan's 78 rpm Record Playing warehouse (via PCL linkdump)

Nice People
"Nice People with nice manners have got no money at all..."


Turtle's 78 rpm jukebox (via bifurcated rivets)

Pucker Up and Whistle

... So in case you're one of the ones who think the world all wrong,
You'll find a real good tonic in the chorus of this song:




(Update: I've only just realised that I have the sheet music for that pucker song in storage somewhere - which may be one reason why it jumped out at me)


Comments: 78 rpm

While not quite at the same antiquary level as the 78rpm jukebox, this site, if you have good computer speakers, is just great for drunken "do you remember that song? Y'know the one that went "omm-dop-do, dop-spooky girl velvet dum dum". Oh, you know the song I'm talking about," nights.

http://www.mikesoldiesartist.com/

A great bestiary of US-centric 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s radio pop, from the good, the bad to the ugly to the deservedly obscure, presented in nice downhome and easy to find fashion.
Posted by Nabakov at June 5, 2005 09:37 PM

Damn. Forget to add I was listening to "Swinging Safari" from the site I just mentioned while commenting here.

Coming up next, Gary Puckett and the Union Gap.
Posted by Nabakov at June 5, 2005 09:42 PM

Gosh - where has that site been all my bloglife?
Almost makes me go out and get some good speakers for this PC.

In the meantime I may have to dig out some Bert Kaempfert. I think I have Swinging Safari on vinyl as well as on some of those loungey compilation CDs - "music for the atomic cocktail-party always planned and never had"
Posted by boynton at June 5, 2005 10:27 PM

Nice people with nice manners.. so if we turn nasty on the internet, do we magically get money?

Said in a piningly hopeful way.
Posted by David Tiley at June 5, 2005 10:35 PM

Yes - I definitely think Nasty is on the money.

OTOH - would be tempted to steal that image of 'Nice people' as a blog banner- except it might also go with "The Daily sensible"?
http://thesurrealist.co.uk/sensible.html
Posted by boynton at June 5, 2005 11:18 PM

Oh - "A" swinging' safari - filed under A - and not a Bert K to be seen. Sounds very good.
That is a great site - and has gone straight into the favourites, along with the 78's.
Posted by boynton at June 6, 2005 12:05 AM

No comments: