RECENT COMMENTS

Monday, October 04, 2004

wood engravings

The first Yan Yean image below was from this National Library of Australia Collection:
Wood engravings published in Victoria, Australia, exhibited by the Commissioners of the International Exhibition, 1873 .


Remarkable remains of trees, near Bendigo. [after: Ludwig Becker; engraver: Frederick Grosse]

Wood carting - the gum tree (eucalyptus), 1862


Comments: wood engravings

That stuff is fascinating. I've been involved in research for a film about the 1939 fires which means lots of slow interviews with really fantastic oldies whose stories of their parents and grandparents take us right back to pioneering.

Old men saying "I made my living for my whole life with me axe." and families who are still in the woodchopping comps are called "chopping families.."

Where did you get your milk? my colleague asked.
From a cow, shrieked the two old ladies in unison.

The power of oral history.

The sooner this election is over, the better. We are obsessed with politics; I neglect the wider joys.
Posted by David Tiley at October 6, 2004 01:21 AM

I've got "chopping family" on one branch of the tree myself. (That is - ex axemen - the generations that followed stopped chopping, but I love that cf term)

Don't know if it was a coincidence that I posted this on the day the ALP released its old Growth Forest Policy - the Libs to follow - shortly?
Posted by boynton at October 6, 2004 11:45 AM

No comments: