RECENT COMMENTS

Monday, October 18, 2004

emphasis

Think I should do some overdue commemorative spring cleaning with the template. It's always a bad sign when things look so much better after being run through a generator. Like this emphasis one, which makes the tired old boynton blues and greys and verdanas almost cool in a concrete poetry kind of way. And at least "I' was a little way down the hierarchy of emphasis behind the definite article and October.

Emphasis via the Presurfer


Comments: emphasis

Yes, that 'Emphasis" is a boon to the visually impared.
Posted by Scott Wickstein at October 18, 2004 06:36 PM

Indeed.
And your comment looks very EMPHATIC in emphasis mode, Scott.
Posted by boynton at October 18, 2004 10:38 PM

Well, after a protracted bout of physical spring cleaning recently (Did you know dust bunnies turn feral after lying untouched under yer bed since the last Duran Duran revival?), I'm vibed up about the whole concept.

The overall look of yer site is cool by me. A wryly sparse frame for content that may seem a bit girly at first but always leads onto where women and then the humans they give birth come from, and then what they go on to do that lifts and seperates us from all the original basic primate hoo-ha.

However, if yer gonna do a website spring clean, can I suggest a subtley off-white background. Maybe something more in the tonal range of yellowing pages.

That would be more easier on the eye than trying to pick acquamarine 10 pt arial out of a glowing white screen.

But hey, it's yer patio darlin'. I'm jus' sayin'
Posted by Nabakov at October 19, 2004 03:00 AM

acquamarine, eh? who knew...
I only knew ever knew it as haloscan blue, from whence # it was pinched.

Good to get this feedback, Nabakov.
Is it girly to confess that I've always hankered after a Table on the patio? I had been thinking something with black edging (a la SP actually) would be nice, but may consider the yellows.
And as always when window shopping, I need to look at the Tags.
Posted by boynton at October 19, 2004 12:04 PM

miss b, I fiddled with your stylesheet - result here:
http://www.soulpacific.com/boynton/

feel free to use in full or in bits; there are background patterns galore on the net (google squidfingers) but always tempted to have a go at wallpaper if you've got a design/image as seed starter
Posted by nardo at October 19, 2004 09:44 PM

PS - there are lot of good colour tools too

try http://del.icio.us/tag/colour
or http://del.icio.us/tag/color
Posted by nardo at October 19, 2004 09:47 PM

PS2 - jus checked colours on an LCD screen, completely different... will update soon, to ensure burnt orange is just that (my girl has banished said hex from our home, this is purely vicarious)
Posted by nardo '74 at October 20, 2004 11:15 AM

Many many thanks, Nardo.
She certainly looks quite different in burnt orange, don't she, and the text looks tougher too
within a 'black edged table'. Hmm - maybe the wallpaper could involve those laminexy boomerangs of many a retro site...
Speaking of laminex, I'm still fondest of blue, so I might play around with the palette later on when I get a chance to tweak.
Thanks for the del-ici-ous links too, and that news about Firefox. That's an incentive to switch.

I have Dreamweaver here and this extension thing:
http://dreamweaver-mt.sourceforge.net/download.html
which I haven't downloaoded yet - so perhaps I could tweak away on IE?

Thanks again.
Posted by boynton at October 20, 2004 12:59 PM

yep, that dreamweaver extension would be handy, not seen it before ... but the firefox 'edit' is visceral plus the browser has TABS! worth a geek for sure
Posted by nardo at October 20, 2004 04:34 PM

Hmmm, "tougher", "burnt orange", "laminex" "retro boomerangs"(band name alert)".

I don't think any of that is really you, boyno.

My suggestion is think Fairfield Boat House - before the heritaged-coloured renovation.
Posted by Nabakov at October 21, 2004 02:40 AM

well I do have a penchant for laminex, but the Fairfield Boathouse is a perfect cautionary thought.
Is that the same as Maldon-ising, or worse?

(My laminex has always been cheap and grungy if that helps...)
Posted by boynton at October 21, 2004 10:57 AM

encore:
http://www.smartpixel.net/chromoweb/uks/indexgb.html

lovely explication about colour
Posted by nardo at October 22, 2004 09:50 AM

Yes - the explication is good indeed.
The Flash app is very good. Most useful I imagine.
And the Matisse may just have to get a link...
Posted by boynton at October 22, 2004 04:26 PM

No comments: