RECENT COMMENTS

Monday, October 11, 2004

hereafter

A Home Hereafter: Photographs by Helen Sweeting

In September of the year 2000 my Grandmother Rene died. She was 90 years old and had lived on the same road in Handsworth, Birmingham, all of her life, moving ten houses away from her parents upon her marriage to my Grandfather, Jack, 60 years ago.

Following her death I started photographing her home, a space that evokes many personal memories for my family and myself. I wanted initially, to capture her essence within these walls - her private space, creating one final portrait of her, a portrait-in-absentia. I photographed her home before the possessions, the remnants of her existence, were removed
.



Digital Handsworth A history of the ancient parish of Handsworth

(via Plep)

No comments: