RECENT COMMENTS

Saturday, September 04, 2004

rip

My dog Douglas died last night. Almost 15 years to the day when I first acquired custodianship of his kind roly magnificence.
This isn't the place for poetry.
A friend had counselled me to be strong and this was indeed wise during the nightime vigil. But once it happens it seems wiser to be weak in grief, for a week or so.

We've been each other's shadow, in each other's pocket, almost everyday.

We're going to bury him next to his mother and aunts on a hill in the place where he first opened his eyes, scene of the first time ever I saw his gentle dome head face. Rest in peace, my sweet.


Comments: rip

Agree with you about the grieving process. Hope it helps. Sounds like a wonderful resting place for Douglas.
Posted by murray at September 4, 2004 06:53 PM

Hopeless at saying anything useful/helpful in such circumstances, but consider it said.
Posted by Sedgwick at September 4, 2004 06:57 PM

I'll lend you for a little while, a little dog, God said,
For you to cherish while he lives, and mourn for when he's dead
It may be more than fifteen years, or only two or three,
But will you, till I call him home, look after him for me?
He'll bring his love to gladden you and should his stay be brief,
He'll leave you many memories, as comfort for your grief
I cannot promise he will stay, since all from earth return,
But there are things he wants to show, and lots for you to learn
I've looked the whole world over, in my search for masters true
and from the throng that crowds life's lane at last I've chosen you
Now will you give him all your love, nor think your labour vain
Nor turn against me when I come to take him home again?

Anon.

My heart goes out to you, 15's a good innings. Lucky dog.
Posted by Link at September 4, 2004 07:00 PM

Sympathies Ms Boynton.

I still remember when the light went out in my beautiful red kelpie's eyes, but she comes back now and again in my dreams.
Posted by cs at September 4, 2004 10:48 PM

I'm not a dog person, but the passing of a faithful companion is as sad as it gets. Condolences for now & the time ahead.
Posted by Dick at September 5, 2004 08:14 AM

Your dog must be proud, happy and smiling to have been able to romp and play in such a loving little pack.
Posted by JohnFen at September 5, 2004 01:42 PM

Poor Doug. Poor Boynton. Drink bubbles and remember him.
Posted by Scott Wickstein at September 5, 2004 06:18 PM

Thanks for all your kind comments - they do help.
Grieving on track, Murray.
Me and all, Sedge.
Lovely poem, Link - was a consolation to read.
Thanks and I hope to see him in dreams, Chris.
It is that kind of sad, Dick - even with all the current strife and sorrow about.
He was one of those 'smiling' dogs, John, best of a smiling breed.
Bubbly is sound advice Scott, I've already had a glass. Cheers.

We buried him well, with daffodils
and sorrowed love.
Posted by boynton at September 6, 2004 12:32 PM

Sorry to hear of your difficult loss.
Posted by Nick Piombino at September 6, 2004 01:06 PM

My sympathies... many flowers will bloom and many other puppies will give love and companionship to others.

With you, across the miles.
Posted by e at September 6, 2004 02:21 PM

Look at this way darling,..

...he had 105 Boynton years of sleeping, scratching and stretching, smelling the world like Kubrick saw it, running and jumping, shedding hair everywhere, slurping unmentionables, biting waves, cocking his ears like that, pissing on street furniture, fearelessly guarding you against strange men and dogs, crapping on the greenstrip with a thoughtful look, vetting your visitors, thumping his tail on the ground when he thought you were too, catching sticks but not birds, dropping his nose on yer knee in the middle of a Fellini DVD, snuggling up on cold nights and wrestling with a nice marrow bone now and then.

Nice work if you can get it. And I reckon he did.
Posted by Nabakov at September 7, 2004 02:04 AM

My sympathies, Ms. Boynton.
Sorry to hear of your loss.
Posted by Gerard at September 7, 2004 04:45 AM

Thanks Nick, e and Gerard. Such messages across the miles are consoling. I love that mix of puppies and flowers, e.

And many thanks Nabakov.
You got it in one (paragraph). Surely you must have known him - or one of his ilk. Only ever caught one bird - an ailing chook. Did vet visitors and men (maybe one too many - eh ;) ) And loved a marrow bone - although they did not love him so much.
Posted by boynton at September 7, 2004 12:54 PM

Even there that loyalty shows, that they go before us, a smaller life, willing to do whatever needs to be done.
"Look! I love you!"
Posted by vernaculo at September 7, 2004 03:24 PM

Yep - I agree.
Think they would probably choose it that way.
(For the skeptics - there are displays of such loyaltylove on a smaller scale every day)
Posted by boynton at September 7, 2004 11:31 PM

Boynton,

I'm so sorry to hear about Douglas.
There is an ache in my heart and a lump in my throat.
My condolances...

xo michelle
Posted by michelle at September 8, 2004 05:31 AM

Oh Boynton,
I'm so sorry.
Posted by mcb at September 8, 2004 04:54 PM

thanks muchly michelle and mcb.

every day is easier.
Posted by boynton at September 8, 2004 05:22 PM

woof woof
Posted by HL at September 9, 2004 04:05 PM

No comments: