RECENT COMMENTS

Friday, September 17, 2004

photographic

I googled a church in Adelaide and suddenly found myself spinning round the famous Duryea Panorama, a link I'd often seen but never clicked. It was quite giddy, the historical details functioning as a kind of handrail, until I worked out how to slow down the spin to a sober pace befitting the city of (still standing and now demolished) churches..

This was quite coincidental (or is the correct web word serendipitous?) I had just been reading about another panorama at this site. The history of South Australian photography from 1845 to around 1915

Also: A French photographic site Phot'optic Collection
(via Ramage)

and more local photos to explore at the Campbelltown City Library Collection
This Image Library is a unique collection of just over 7,000 historical pictures of the Campbelltown District dating from the early 1800's


Comments: photographic

It is great panaroma of Adelaide. I had seen it at the Mortlock. Great to see it online.

I tried to find the site of my 1890s cottage in the south east corner of the city but the panaroma was too early to get a sense of that part.

When I have some more time I will have another look.
Posted by Gary Sauer-Thompson at September 24, 2004 02:11 PM

Great isn't it. I've seen one early panorama of Melbourne (off line), but they suit the medium.
Posted by boynton at September 25, 2004 08:50 PM

No comments: