RECENT COMMENTS

Thursday, February 22, 2007

teev meme

I did this meme in January, after Genevieve, but have been a bit slow to post.


Earliest remembered teev:
Wasn’t the earliest, that was just a black and white mash of panel shows and andy pandy cowboys and americans.
But when I was about 4, I did a drawing of Batman and Robin at Kinder. I loved Batman and thought it was serious crime drama. I had the merchandise too - a jigsaw and an inflatable swimming toy.
I felt a bit of the same bat excitement to see this bat site last week (via PCL):
 


TV series I would want on a desert island
I would hope something complex, but I have a feeling with my luck it would be effin Midsomer Murders which seems to be everywhere at the moment.*
Something long running? Maybe the Simpsons – I’ve never seen an episode apart from the early incarnation on Tracy Ullman.

(*Update: Now it's February and Midsomer's been bumped)

TV that made me laugh
As a child Get Smart.
A few that have made me lol:
Python, Ripping Yarns, The Tracy Ullman show, Larry Sanders, Ab Fab, One Foot In The Grave, King Of The Hill, Big Train, Smack The Pony, Father Ted, The Office

Most recently: Curb Your Enthusiasm, seen in 21C mode- via DVD boatload. Love it and agree with Susie that The Doll episode
is one of the most perfectly crafted half-hours of comedy in television history
TV that made me cry
Most of my older sibs used to watch Bellbird. We all cried when Charlie Cousens fell off the silo, though I was probably running with the pack rather than understanding the significance of silos or iconic moments of oz TV
Anything with a dog. Even Inspector Rex can make me cry.

TV crap that I enjoy
I used to love Eastenders in the late 80’s. A show about everyday losers when TV was obsessed with glam winners. My dog got to know the theme music which (at the closing credits) signified walk, so he became co-addicted.
I used to keep watching As Time Goes By. I don't why.

TV you'll never forget
When I was very young our neighbourhood friends were starring on Showcase, a talent show. Just as they were about to perform a pas de deux, the TV died. The 8 of us sped around the corner to the house of an accommodating neighbour to watch it.
Pennies From Heaven was a revelation.

Favourite TEEV adaptation
Love in a Cold Climate (1980), The Camomile Lawn, In a Land of Plenty, The Shark Net and recently Bleak House

One TV program you are currently watching
Recently rented the DVD of My Brother Jack. One of my favourite books, and despite the creakiness of 1965, I think it stands up quite well. Ed Deveraux, despite not conforming physically to my imagined Jack, is fabulous. The very beginning is a great piece of footage, the pedestrian streets of interwar suburbs.
Also enjoying the repeat of Bedtime for its theatrical writing and staging (albeit conventional theatre)

(Update: My Bro Jack went a bit belly up towards the end, and was rather stagey. But it still seems closer to the authentiCity of Melb in the 30's than the recent mini-series which was too pretty to be gritty.)


One TV show/series you have been meaning to watch
I agree with Genevieve. Love My Way. Shame it’s not on FTA, but at least we plebs can hire the DVDs.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have watched series 1 and 2 of Love My Way...........You have to rent it Boynton...its a must

Wendy James said...

Yep -- you just have to watch Love My Way. Beware, though; it's compulsive viewing & you may end up watching 8 hours straight. Make sure you start early in the evening & don't have to be up at the crack of dawn next day!

Wendy James said...

And then you can start on Battlestar Galactica....

boynton said...

you may end up watching 8 hours straight
I did that with (ironically) Curb Your Enthusiasm which kind of kills the old square eyes viewing habits of last century - serials in small daily or weekly doses.

Link said...

You have made me want a television. I want to laugh at Max again.

boynton said...

I could do without a televsion I think.
But maybe not a 'television player' - for things like Max on DVD.

genevieve said...

Teev player is definitely the way to go. Thanks for the tip off for the earlier Bro Jack - I must get my video guy to hunt that out.
Midsomer Murders is awfully, suffocatingly omnipresent. I'm sure it's on the TV all day around the world somewhere. Ewwwh.

boynton said...

Omnipresent MM... is strangely compelling though all the same.

Only just recognised John Nettles as Ian from A Family at War which I used to watch as a kid. Lovely character as I recall. There's a DVD series I'd like to revisit on my TV-D player.