RECENT COMMENTS

Friday, March 17, 2006

daily life

Seated women with men standing while watching the presentation of a Ruton vacuum cleaner at the Home show in the Rai.
Amsterdam - March 30, 1958



From Collection Algemeen Hollands Fotopersbureau / Ben van Meerendonk

This presentation is comprised of digitized images of over 150 photographs - organised under seven topics: Amsterdam, Daily Life, Famous Dutchmen, Royal Family, International, Sports, and, Flood Disaster 1953...
It was founded by photographer Ben van Meerendonk (born July 20, 1913) in 1945. Although the agency started with several employees, by the fifties it was a one-man business of Van Meerendonk and some assistants.



(I found via this photo of Brigitte Bardot lookalikes...
Because apparently I look 66% like BB according to the face recognition thing as seen on crazybrave and toph. When actually I look maybe 22% like 10% of the hopefuls in that shot. Or 11% on an average St Patrick's Day.)

5 comments:

Gummo Trotsky said...

Why St Pats day in particular? Is it because you honour the occasion by painting yourself green?

boynton said...

No, nor do I drink myself green.
Thought I might raise a glass in the local oirish themed pub, but didn't even honour that whim.

Gummo Trotsky said...

Oirish theme pubs I can cope with. But it surpasses my understanding why anyone bothers with English theme pubs. The real thing is pretty bloody dreary, all Watney's Red Barrel, Gin and It, and cheese and onion potato crisps in miniscule packages. If you're really daring, some provide dried up cheese and piccallilli pickle sandwiches and superannuated pork pies as well.

Anonymous said...

"I look 66% like BB"

So they don't have piccies of the young Susannah York in face recognition image database?

boynton said...

when I was young people used to say Hayley Mills...(in her Polyanna phase)
now I think I'm more somewhere along the IM psycho-biddy DB...
10% BB, 20% Baby Jane